Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14218

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Here are the exhaust valves (2 only)that have been hit with a brass wire wheel. That build up on the head of the valve will not budge.

1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14219

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I would sat that they are useable, not perfect but they should machine up OK.
To clean them I usually spin them in the lathe anduse some coarse sandpaper then polish them a bit. Try some carb and throttle body cleaner there's a good chance it will disolve the crud.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14221

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

RickG wrote: I would sat that they are useable, not perfect but they should machine up OK.
To clean them I usually spin them in the lathe anduse some coarse sandpaper then polish them a bit. Try some carb and throttle body cleaner there's a good chance it will disolve the crud.

Agreed. They'll machine up just fine.
You can scrape the valves down with a pocket knife and then spin them up in a drill and take some medium emery cloth to them. then off to the machine shop for seat refacing. If you talk to the machine shop chances are they will media blast the valves for you before refacing the seats. That's what I do here at my shop since I have a blasting cabinet.

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14228

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

RickG wrote: As Kawboy has said the head needs a complete resto. The valve guides in the exhaust port is a bit frazzled.

Hey Rick I have been continually thinking about your idea on the valve guides being frazzled so I gave the combustion chambers a thorough cleaning, maybe you can have another look and see what you think now.

Should I be concerned about the pitting at the red arrows?

Attachments:

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14235

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
The #5 exhaust guide has been hotter as well as the seat. Compare it to #2 guide and you can see a mottled look, not serious and probably because the valve wasn't seating well and the whole port was running a bit hotter due to the burning gas escaping. The guide should be OK and I would say the seats will reclaim OK but you may need to adjust the valve stem length to get back to a mid sized shim
The head surface is a bit RS with the corossion but a resurface will most likely see it through. The pitting at the #2 exhaust port may need to be welded to reclaim it without removing too much metal.
If it were mine I would get it rebuilt because any head you buy second hand is most likely to be the same or worse. Actually that head is doing fairly well considering its over 30 years and probably closer to 40 and most likely has never been of the engine before.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14236

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

RickG wrote: The head surface is a bit RS with the corossion but a resurface will most likely see it through. The pitting at the #2 exhaust port may need to be welded to reclaim it without removing too much metal.
If it were mine I would get it rebuilt because any head you buy second hand is most likely to be the same or worse. Actually that head is doing fairly well considering its over 30 years and probably closer to 40 and most likely has never been of the engine before.

That news is positive and to be honest unexpected, I thought it might have been a show-stopper. Now I just need someone reputable who is prepared to do it.

Thanks Rick

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds