Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Help Ideas on a body kit color all suggestions wel 7 years 9 months ago #13456

• Mark
  • Mark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Well this is the joy of taking on someone else's project and vision, my biggest problem with this is the Engine having been powder coated, not an easy substance to deal with and remove I wish it was. The motor had to be stripped and rebuilt to allow the casings etc. to be powder coated so decided due to that, no point at this moment in time completely stripping the motor, to achieve powder coat removal and re-paint so it is what it is, Hence using as much chrome or polished items to dull the engine bay down. As for the exhaust will leave chrome as it is a complete original system in top condition, even I can't bring myself what ever to paint that and potentially ruin it.
So this has now become a bit of a challenge to try and make a color scheme work I have no choice but to work with a yellow theme. Pete Fin have in the past seen some of your custom projects feel free to interject and advise.
I agree with all comments continue to dumb down using black, will be targeting the back end next, black swingarm, black diff and black break caliper and somehow get the wheel rims and spoke edges back to the alloy.
My thoughts to try and tie all in was, (feel free to tell me I am wrong, don't mind criticism)to do the body kit in metallic black with a yellow metallic flake in it. Wish I knew a graphic designer that could mock this up on a PC for me.
Anyway love it or hate it will definatly get a reaction so won't be ignored. Main aim though is to get this bike back on the road as quickly as possible where it deserves to be no good sat in the back of a garage going nowhere. Thanks for everyones comments and thoughts keep them coming in.
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help Ideas on a body kit color all suggestions wel 7 years 9 months ago #13457

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hi Mark

I suppose there are basically just three options as, as you explained, yellow is a given:

1) you add black as discussed

2) you aim to add MORE YELLOW (potentially the same as already is) - now that will be something ... lets call it special

3) you add other colours and have it look like a children's toy (why not add some nice red, blue and green)

Me heart sez of yourse 1) though it would be interesting to see 2), maybe you need to wear sunglasses all the time on it. No way to go for 3), sez my heart, my brain and my stomach ...

But don't take my advise too serious ...

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Help Ideas on a body kit color all suggestions wel 7 years 9 months ago #13459

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Food for thought Holger, a child's toy sounds an interesting avenue to explore would give it a theme and reason for the madness lol, will be writing down all ideas and getting a sketch pad out. Whatever I do will cost so need to get it correct first time.

Help Ideas on a body kit color all suggestions wel 7 years 9 months ago #13465

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Valentino Rossi Moto GP rider for Yamaha has used that yeloow for many years but combined with Yamaha blue and it looks good.
Alot of older Aussie V8 super cars used the yellow with blue also.
If this was my project I'd deal with the engine first. There is too much yellow and that is the biggest single piece.
It would have to be either silver or gloss black like that Honda someone posted. All that powdercoating is , is a catylized liquid coating that has dried and then ground into a powder and sprayed. So to re-do the engine, a powder coater would spend several hours sanding every piece ( no misses ) , engine and frame and then re-spray both parts with a wet ( liquid ) black coat of paint. In other words, either spraying over or repowder coating parts already done is not too difficult so long as it is all well sanded and cleaned before starting the next coating system.
If you are good with a spray gun and the engine is too difficult to remove from the frame, then remove all the parts from engine and frame that are not to be black, mask off what you can't take off , and start spraying.
This project is easily re-coverable. Then leave the wheels- because they are difficult to get right, then step back and see what can be done with the body parts -tank, side covers etc.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Help Ideas on a body kit color all suggestions wel 7 years 9 months ago #13466

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Quasar or snowmobile maybe :)

:) Z13 UK
Attachments:

Help Ideas on a body kit color all suggestions wel 7 years 9 months ago #13467

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Love that one Charlie am extremely envious of the color of the Motor Lol wonder if he wants to swap engines

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds