Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Fouling plugs again Help please 7 years 9 months ago #13116

• wess.vic
  • wess.vic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I've had these carbs off lots of times and I run the dg 6 into 1 exhaust. I found the right size pilot screw and the bikes low end is great. When I start to get into the high end I end up gas fouling 1 or 2 plugs. I'm running a 105 mm main jet and have the screws at a stock 1 3/4 turns. Im having trouble diagnosing the exact problem because of all the factors that have to be taken into consideration. I was just curious if anyone had similiar trouble. Also the dg exhaust leaks at the collector I'm also curious if anybody else had this problem. I also installed the brass floats made by scotch. I have 88 to 105 psi in my cyclinders. please help Thanks, vIctor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by wess.vic.

Fouling plugs again Help please 7 years 9 months ago #13118

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
open your pilot screws out to 3.5 turns and try again, get a colortune kit and set the mixture screws to a nice blue flame.
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Fouling plugs again Help please 7 years 9 months ago #13120

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
88-105 PSI in your cylinders is not good I would advise you look first at why your reading such low pressures 140 ish is more like what it should be, check your cam timing and valve clearances first and make sure that they are correct, before worrying about the carbs.
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Fouling plugs again Help please 7 years 9 months ago #13127

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Yeh my DG also leaks, but you either do some work to it to stop it or live with it, I live with it :-)
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Fouling plugs again Help please 7 years 9 months ago #13154

• wess.vic
I rechecked my cylidners with anew compression tester that threads and i have 125 on the cylinders. I have 42.5 pilots and 105 mains the bike ran great 3.5 turns out but has trouble starting now. I'm guessing I should switch out the pilots to the stock 45 pilots so the mixure adjustment will help through out the range?

Fouling plugs again Help please 7 years 9 months ago #13209

• wess.vic
Well I figured out I had 45 pilots not 42.5. I recleaned the carb theorely and made sure the tiny passages were totally free. At first I didn't have to touch and it fired right up and idled great. The next day I was going to take it out for a test run and I left it overnight with the petcock closed and fuel burned out of the bowl. I let the bowls fill try to start it but I had to get air moving through it so I gave it some throttle almost like its to rich on the low end. I rode it warmed it up to adjust idle and I would adjust to around 1000-1500 rpms i let it sit and then opened the throttle a few times. When I did i hit around 5,000 rpm. I understand when doing it your dumping alot of fuel into and it will take a little longer to come down but when I did this it stuck around 5,000 and wouldn't come back off. Finally when it did it rolled past down to 800 rpms and just got swamped with fuel and stall out. I decided to check my intake boots for air leaks. I warmed it up later in the day and then sprayed some choke cleaner around the boots and it never popped or sucked anything in. The rpms stayed still and didn't move. So Im ruling that out as a problem. But every time I take it out the top end feels great but when I get back from a 15 mile test drive I seem to lose a signifigant amount of gas. I pulled the plugs and saw that the electrode was a almost brown color and the ring around the plug was damp with fuel. I always though the element was the pilot end and the outside ring of the plug was the mains. I want to re sync my carbs and see what it will do If anybody can direct me to thread about sinking and bench sinking the carbs I would really appreciate it. I have the air screws at 3.5 turns did anybody else every turn them out more because I'm not sure If I should put a 42.5 pilot and 100 main to lean it out or use the colortune and turn the screws out more. Thanks, Victor

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds