Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Brakes! Help!!! 9 years 11 months ago #3103

• KEL
  • KEL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I had an issue where the front brakes started to lock on a recent test ride.
Thats OK. I pulled everything apart, cleaned the callipers, master cylinder and lines.
Removed the pistons, placed seals and the master cylinder plunger with a new one.
Now it back together I cant build any pressure when trying to bleed them.
I get maybe one or two air bubbles then thats it, just a dribble of oil.
I tried everything and am absolutely lost. There is nothing left to replace!!!
I even tried reverse bleeding with a syringe in the bleeder to get oil upwards. It travels upwards but I still cant get pressure.
PLEASE HELP ME IM AT MY WHITS END...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brakes! Help!!! 9 years 11 months ago #3104

• chrisleo
Try this, might sound weird, but give it a try:

1. Remove the line from your master, place your thumb with pressure on the outlet and then pump till you get pressure build up. let the pressure release thumb pressure when you pull the handle in not letting it to suck air in. If you get pressure build up, obviously your pumps working fine, next do the same with one caliper at a time making sure your line is full of fluid.

As I said, its an old school method, but it will definitely get it going provided everything else is all good. Works everytime for me :)

Oh and keep in mind, it will mess things up a bit so you might wanna cover your tank etc..

Cheers
Z1300 A-5 - 1984
Z1300 A-1 - 1979
GL1100 - 1982
VMAX 1200 - 2002
Honda CBX1000 1981

Brakes! Help!!! 9 years 11 months ago #3105

• KEL

chrisleo wrote: Try this, might sound weird, but give it a try:

1. Remove the line from your master, place your thumb with pressure on the outlet and then pump till you get pressure build up. let the pressure release thumb pressure when you pull the handle in not letting it to suck air in. If you get pressure build up, obviously your pumps working fine, next do the same with one caliper at a time making sure your line is full of fluid.

As I said, its an old school method, but it will definitely get it going provided everything else is all good. Works everytime for me :)

Oh and keep in mind, it will mess things up a bit so you might wanna cover your tank etc..

Cheers

Thanks. I tried a similar thing and got a squirt from the master once I narrowed the opening.
Repeated the same with each brake line and got a squirt when I narrowed the opening so I figured the system was working.
But when everything goes back together its back to the dribble again....no pressure.
I am bleeding with the reservoir cap screwed on tight and hear a psssst when i undo it to add more oil.
I did notice I have VERY faint braking at the very end of the lever travel, but nowhere near what's approaching normal.
Is there something in the callipers I may have missed???
I'm just lost with this.

Last edit: by KEL.

Brakes! Help!!! 9 years 11 months ago #3106

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
KEL,

I dont think you are doing anything wrong............it can just take ages to build up the pressure.
Leave master cylinder cap OFF..........keep bleed nipples closed & just keep pumping..............it may take 30 minutes + before you get anywhere.

Remember the bore of the brake pipes is tiny !!

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Brakes! Help!!! 9 years 11 months ago #3107

• KEL

strate6 wrote: KEL,

I dont think you are doing anything wrong............it can just take ages to build up the pressure.
Leave master cylinder cap OFF..........keep bleed nipples closed & just keep pumping..............it may take 30 minutes + before you get anywhere.

Remember the bore of the brake pipes is tiny !!

Pete F
UK

Thanks for the encouragement Pete!!
In frustration I have removed the cap and have the lever pulled in and will leave it overnight.
I have never seen anything like this before...
Maybe it is the small pipes I dunno??

Brakes! Help!!! 9 years 11 months ago #3108

• chrisleo
kel as Pete said, don't think anythings wrong, there is very little even in the callipers. Just pistons and washers. No valves or anything like that. Leave your cap open, fill the res, unscrew both nipples, i.e. take them off completely and let it gravity bleed. Im sure it will come good overnight. At times a little air in the system can cause a bloody headache :)

Cheers
Z1300 A-5 - 1984
Z1300 A-1 - 1979
GL1100 - 1982
VMAX 1200 - 2002
Honda CBX1000 1981

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds