Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z/KZ1300A1/2 Replacement Rear Master Cylinder Seals. 3 years 10 months ago #27034

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I "Think" this topic came up on the site previously but I cannot find it............

Anyway..............the seal kit for the rear master cylinder on the Z/KZ1300A1/2 is quite expensive and hard to find in comparison to the readily available and cheap front seal kit, but someone stated on this site that as the cylinder bore diameter is the same as the front, the seals should be interchangeable............??

I can confirm that despite the front and rear pistons being very different, the seals are interchangeable.
I needed new rear seals recently and had a new front seal kit in my spares kit so gave it a go with 100% success.
Its best and easiest to warm the new seals up with warm water before removing to make them softer as they are a tight fit on the piston and to refit on the rear piston, but it can be done if you are careful.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville, mizztheman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

Z/KZ1300A1/2 Replacement Rear Master Cylinder Seals. 3 years 10 months ago #27035

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Also, if you don't plan on ever using the piston from the rebuild kit, I've cut the piston up to make removing the seals easier before. Go slow and don't get too close to the seal and it works just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: strate6

Last edit: by Lucien-Harpress.

Z/KZ1300A1/2 Replacement Rear Master Cylinder Seals. 3 years 10 months ago #27039

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Thats a really good point and addition to this............wish I'd thought of it !

I did find the new seals harder to remove from the pistion than to re-fit to the rear one, so cutting the piston would have made it even easier.

Regards

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Z/KZ1300A1/2 Replacement Rear Master Cylinder Seals. 3 years 10 months ago #27064

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I used a front master cylinder i kit to repair my rear. When you have it apart it will be pretty obvious the seals are the same.

Been working for 5 years now with no issue.
1981 KZ1300

Last edit: by Tyler.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds