Air Pressure In Front Forks. 4 years 2 weeks ago #26452

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Its the age old problem !

Trying to get identical pressure in both front forks of an early model KZ / Z1300.
As with many bikes back in late 70's and 80's, they have air assisted front forks with a valve at the top of each fork leg (later models had a balance pipe and one valve).

The problem is trying to get the same amount of pressure in each leg, which is very difficult, even when using a small bicycle tyre pump, as too much pressure can easily damage the seals.
There were companies back in the day, who made balance kits to link the 2 forks together with one valve and they worked very well, but I cannot no find anyone anywhere who makes these kits now.

Question..............
How do YOU as owners get around this issue and manage to get identical air pressures in each leg ??

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

Air Pressure In Front Forks. 4 years 2 weeks ago #26454

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
About 15 years ago S&W made a fork pump which I bought from Motion Pro.

Each stroke of the pump delivered 1 psi. When the pump was disconnected from the Schrader valve the fork didn't lose any pressure. ( it's big selling point in view of how small a pressure the forks use ). In other words, what pressure showed on the pump gauge , was in the fork. Therefore an easy process to get both forks the same.
Mountain bike shops have pumps that are similar. As do motocross bikes with air shocks/forks. But the gauge reads upto 200 lbs and is way too difficult to get accurate with small air volume these bikes require.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Last edit: by tackelhappy.

Air Pressure In Front Forks. 4 years 2 weeks ago #26456

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

tackelhappy wrote: Mountain bike shops have pumps that are similar. As do motocross bikes with air shocks/forks. But the gauge reads upto 200 lbs and is way too difficult to get accurate with small air volume these bikes require.

Back in the old days, when air assist forks started to become a thing on mountain bikes, one could buy a bicycle fork pump that operated at much lower pressure range than today's fork pumps. Much harder to find these days but they occasionally come up on eBay.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Air Pressure In Front Forks. 4 years 2 weeks ago #26457

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
I too found this a PITA. so very early on I made a cross-over with a gauge. I used standard brass fittings - 1 - 90 degree 1/8" MPTX 1/8" compression fitting for the opposite side. To keep the bulk down, I made a custom fitting using similar parts to accommodate a gauge, a fill valve and the 1/8' compression fitting to get the air to the other side and that 90 degree fitting. It's not difficult or complex to make but may be outside the comfort level for some.
I have seen on rare occasion, a factory cross connect, on eBay. Just found this ! Never had one so can't say definitively, but it appears that you use either of the stock air fittings to fill and don't believe it's tapped for a gauge.
Can't get the link to copy correctly but some playing around with it should get you there.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-KZ1300-Z1300-1980-Fork-Air-Pressure-Balance-Pipe-/311548955953
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko

Last edit: by scotch.

Air Pressure In Front Forks. 4 years 2 weeks ago #26459

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Hi Stan,

Thanks for the Ebay link.

Unfortunately that link pipe device only works with later fork legs which were fitted to later models with the ballance pipe and each have a hole drilled in the fork leg in the right position for the air to be linked via the pipe , so no use for the earlier fork legs (without the holes in them).

Regards

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Last edit: by strate6.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds