TOPIC:

master cylinders 4 years 2 weeks ago #26347

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Bucko.............
You need to read the information in the post before making comment mate !!!!

The post said the Master Cylinder was being "cleaned up" so I expect it would be stripped................which would make using a Sewing Needle to clear the hole 100% safe and acceptable.

Of course you would NOT do this if the cylinder still had the piston inside................surely thats obvious for gods sake !!!!!!

I also suggest using fresh SILICON Brake Fluid if you strip the whole systam as it wont ruin all the paint on the cylinder and calipers.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

master cylinders 4 years 2 weeks ago #26349

• coleface
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the replies. I do have the master cyl. all apart even though the front brakes were fine when I parked it. Its the rear that was leaking. I'm not a guitar guy but have aviation lock wire at my disposal. I tried .032 and it was to big so tried .020 and that also would not fit so I ended up putting a small sewing needle through. Can you tell me the purpose of having 2 holes, one larger and one very small in dia.? I bought a new front piston assy from BrakeCrafters so that will go in and as it was the rear leaking and that kit is more expensive I've taken the old front piston assy and put the easily removed top rubber seal onto the rear assy. I didn't remove the rear seal and will try this to see if it leaks. If so then I'll buy the rear kit.

master cylinders 4 years 2 weeks ago #26350

• coleface
Thanks for the brake fluid suggestion. I think I'll go that way as I re built all 3 callipers and both systems are empty.

master cylinders 4 years 2 weeks ago #26355

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

strate6 wrote: Bucko.............
You need to read the information in the post before making comment mate !!!!

The post said the Master Cylinder was being "cleaned up" so I expect it would be stripped................which would make using a Sewing Needle to clear the hole 100% safe and acceptable.

Of course you would NOT do this if the cylinder still had the piston inside................surely thats obvious for gods sake !!!!!!

I also suggest using fresh SILICON Brake Fluid if you strip the whole systam as it wont ruin all the paint on the cylinder and calipers.

Pete F
UK

You missed the point (pun intended). I know he was rebuilding: if you poke a needle through, it can be too big for the hole (because a needle is tapered) it can leave a 'burr' at the hole which can cut the seal when the piston is reinstalled in the bore.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

master cylinders 4 years 2 weeks ago #26357

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Well...........he did what I suggested and as I have done many times on many master cylinders and all good so no problem.

Pete F
Uk
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by Kawboy.

master cylinders 4 years 2 weeks ago #26358

• coleface
Again thanks for the info guys, I removed the new piston assy and checked the holes for cleanliness again. Can you tell me the purpose of the 2 holes. Return I know but why the 2 sizes? The front brake worked fine before I removed everything so the holes couldn't have been completely plugged. I just took the old piston with the one seal on it and put it in how water and the seal came off relatively easy. Now I know if the rear leaks I can order the less expensive front piston and transfer the seals onto the rear. Its snowing today and -10C so I wont be putting the brakes back on in my unheated garage.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds