Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

swing arm installation 4 years 1 month ago #25969

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

StanG wrote: Could be the pin mushroomed when removing it? I'd be surprised though, especially that you didn't use direct banging on it when removing.
Hmm... kind of strange case you have there on your hands, as bearings are made to the specifics of the pins.

How did you come up with this Stan? Bearings are a nominal size and shafts, journals are made to fit the bearing. Based on required fit, be it sliding, light press or interference fit, the journals and shafts are made to the fit standard. You should never have to question the "size" of a bearing when it doesn't fit properly. You always question the item the bearing is fitted to.

L0L I came up with this very simple - trying to say that the bearing and pin diameters are paired to match. A certain size bearing of specific size is chosen to fit he pin which yes, is machined to the specifics and size of the bearing! Call it a mental shortcut or sloppiness in my use of English and confusing semantics, but that's what I meant - the bearing and pin are made to be a pair with desired fit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

swing arm installation 4 years 1 month ago #25971

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Right, problem solved.

Please see the tool I used. A little sander wheel on the drill. Then I simply went all around the small diameter of the pin until the bearing slid on snugly.

Then, brainwave.... I did the same with the bigger diameter of the pin, cleaned it all off and took a little bit off the pin all round, and presto.... the pins now slide in with a gentle push.

So I inserted the bearings and caps into the swing arm and inserted the swing arm into the frame, then pushed the pins in and did the final adjustment as per the manual. Done! :P

Thanks for the help and suggestions, as always.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

swing arm installation 4 years 1 month ago #25972

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Great! And a great moment in your build when you are putting parts on the fresh frame :)

Those shocks, I know you mentioned it before, maybe, what are they and how much did they cost? I might have to source these if I can't find a stock replacement.

I use the exact same tool for fine cleaning up mating surfaces after gasket removal. Except, due to their sensitive nature, I just use it with my hand doing kind of 'sanding' motion.

Last edit: by StanG.

swing arm installation 4 years 1 month ago #25975

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
They are Hagon shocks, specially made for me. Slightly shorter than stock as on my bike with the altered frame they attach a little more forward, and they have been set up for my weight - single rider only. £210 all in. Bargain.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

swing arm installation 4 years 1 month ago #25978

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Great! Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds