Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24388

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Appreciate the other take at the hydraulic vs. cable clutch scotch. Definitely easier with a cable! Shit... never had a cable fail on me. But if you slide and have a hydraulic line broke - you're fucked. Cable - just slide out being pulled and need a simple tightening with the basic tools - anyone should always have on the road! Agree - cans and lines with D0T5 is not 99% travel with.... I'm staying with cable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24394

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Hydraulic failure of some nature was previously a deterrent for me with respect to the clutch. Having had some time to reflect, I think it's unlikely, maybe even impossible for a seal to have a total failure. More probable a seal(s) would start to weep, from wear/age - giving a warning that a servicing is required. Don't have any concerns about a S/S hydraulic line failing - unless it touch's a down-pipe !:angry:
As I said, previously - I needed something to do while I get my knee healing. Hope it does so quickly - I'm already starting to think of a powered center-stand. :whistle:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24395

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Many say 4 Pot Calipers are better than 6 pots.
Ive had 6 x Vmax 1200's and had 4 pots on all of them...........no issues, and my current ZRX1200 has 6 pots but dont feel any superior.
I guess anything is better than the single pots on a 1300 !!

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Last edit: by strate6.

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24396

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Good to see another Vmax brother Pete! Great looking bike! Braced swing arm, inverted forks, and I think these are still the Kosman wheels? I can see why you like the KZ1300 - just like me! These are the two bikes I will not sell. Each very different and unique. I never open the throttle fully to race, but within the limits and as aggressively as I want to go, they feel very similar power wise. But the Vmax has advantage when on v-boost, that's for sure.

Mine (the max) also has the stock 4 pod calipers. I just replaced the lines with Teflon/stainless, and that made a slight difference.

After re-sleeving the KZ1300 front master cylinder with stainless steel, and using the available rebuild kit, the brakes feel good even with the stock rubber lines. No problem stopping even with a passenger, and in emergency. They are strong but too stiff to my liking at current time, although I am used to them. A 4 or 6 I am sure would be a good upgrade and easier on my fingers. Maybe one day, while keeping the stock calipers in a box. The KZ1300 keeps its best value when 100% shiny stock! Absolutely best would be to have a couple - one stock for special riding and the other modified for more frequent use. Having one, mods are great, but I'd recommend keeping all the stock parts organized and ready for replacement.

Scotch, I'm with you on this, and congratulate you on spending the recovery down time doing this project. With all the things you've been tinkering on your bike, I'd like to see you doing the calipers upgrade as well. And the center stand idea is not without merit! Now, would it be a battery powered spinning gear, or a little hydraulic piston? Hmmm....

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24398

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
re: Powered Center-Stand - Can't give away the intimate secrets yet but am leaning towards a steam actuated piston, driven by a tiny nuclear reactor.:evil:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24400

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

re: Powered Center-Stand - Can't give away the intimate secrets yet but am leaning towards a steam actuated piston, driven by a tiny nuclear reactor.:evil:

Sounds good scotch! Keep up the good work :)

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds