Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24364

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I've been grounded for the past 6 weeks with a knee injury and the boredom was killing me so..............
Did the basic's with a few "tweeks".
Preferred to do my own lay-out. Cut a pattern using cereal-box card-board. Used a cover to get the 3 holes marked and punched. Backed-out the adjuster so it was flush with the cover recess. Installed the template with 3 bolts and then pressed hard on the template to get an imprint of the slotted end of the adjuster. Didn't particularly care for the center of the Slave misaligning with the center of the adjuster. Did some adjustments to the template which allowed the slave to rotate CCW around the top cover-bolt. Despite the slave now being up against the inside of the housing, the 1.5mm I gained got the "centers" within about 2mm. Did some shaving and shaping of the bolt-head that was conflicting and by counter boring the back of the plate I dealt with that issue. A comment in a similar topic referred to having to shim out with spacers, the bottom two bolts in order to get the plate flush? I simply bevelled the back edge of my plate to match that of the housing - No shims required ! The plate sits recessed about 1.5mm relative to the outside of the housing. I used a hole-saw to get an opening for the slave and finished it to size with some filing. Made my own studs and added a hard-brass button that fits into the end of the adjuster, as a buffer between the center-ball of the slave and the slotted end of the adjuster. (just me being finicky !) I added a 1/8" aluminum spacer to ensure some assembly clearance between the slave and rod-end. The plate is 1/4" ( 6.2mm?)
Bought a used slave that was in excellent condition and a good price, a 1200mm generic Hyd.-line and a pair of matching masters for the bars. Also saw a need for a heat shield where the line passes too close to the headers, for my liking.
I estimate the clutch effort is at least 1/2 that of the cable. It all works as expected and now............ I'm bored again.
Can't "jump", can't soar, can't fly and can't ride ! F#*?K ! :angry:
Now thinking of a mini .22 caliber, 6 barrel 12 volt Gatling gun I can mount in the nose of the Pilatus so I don't have to share the thermals !:evil: .....when I have two good knees again !

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24366

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
For what it's worth :

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, HotRodSixxer, kiwirider

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24367

• kiwirider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Very nice scotch
2018 Harley cvo ultra 1982 cbx1000 1980 gsx1100 2012 gtr1400 cx500 turbo 1977 suzuki gt750

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24368

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Thank you for sharing the details of your conversion, scotch.
Presumably, your choice of master cylinders was considered in terms of bore size?
Is there any discernible flexing of the cover plate to which the clutch slave is mounted?
This sounds like a modification well worth doing, A lighter clutch pull will add to the enjoyable characteristics of the 1300.
Ps I remember strate6 ( Pete) did a write up on his hydraulic clutch conversion a couple of years ago. It would be interesting to compare his method with yours, scotch.

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24369

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
I did a quick calculation and figured the 16 mm bore would move enough fluid to influence the slave adequately - and it does. Full travel and good separation of the clutch plates, viewed through the engine oil filler-cap. No difference regarding the front brake master (14mm) feel of brake application. I was a little concerned about the quality given the low price. No concerns now.
My first adapter plate was 3/16" as that's what I had available but it flexed as noted in a previous thread. If nothing else it gave me a few ideas that I could include when I made the 1/4" plate. A local machine shop cut 2 pieces of 1/4" material for $10.00. Got two - for the obvious reason !
I used Pete's write-up ( Thanks Pete) as a solid starting point and then just modified slightly, as noted.
Once I had the components I did the conversion in two days - including the hobbling around.
Something I'll suggest: When the layout is done, do the drilling and slave hole first ! Then cut-out the disc. Leaving the piece square until the end allows for easy clamping to a bench edge. Used a saber-saw with a metal blade and some WD40 to keep the blade teeth from clogging.
The heat shield was an afterthought..........after I thought, "I smell something" ! Despite using the two cable retainers on the frame I realized too late that turning the bars had bowed the line enough to touch. "Oh, the Humanity"! So.......you've been warned !

Last edit: by scotch.

Another Hydraulic Clutch 4 years 10 months ago #24371

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Just remember that at 51% modified, it's no longer a KZ1300. You might have to call it a Scotchawacky or something. :side:

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds