TOPIC:

KZ1300 Front Brakes 5 years 2 weeks ago #23750

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I have completely stripped the front and rear brake systems on my 79 KZ1300 recently to inspect and replace the fluid and any seals / parts necessary.

What is very interesting is I have done the same procedure on my 2003 ZRX1200 over the winter, and cannot help but laugh at the huge difference in the design and technology of the brakes on both bikes........its amazing !

The Front Brakes on the ZRX1200 have 6 pistons per caliper and pads nearly 4 inches long............whilst our good old KZ1300 has a single piston with tiny 2 inch pads.......scary !
Needless to say the ZRX1200 weighs in around 240kg, yet the KZ is around 100kg HEAVIER at around 340kg but are both around the same 120 BHP !!!
Amazing how things progressed in the brake department between 1979 and 2003......thank goodness !

On that note, I dont know how many of you have realised the clear benefits of DOT5 SILICON Brake Fluid for your 1300 yet, but I have now used it on my bikes for the past 10 years and now will not use anything else.
It costs a little more than the horrible corrosive regular fluid, but has many benefits including the fact it is not in anyway corrosive, so does not affect or eat your nice new paintwork on your calipers or master cylinders.........like the awful regular stuff does.
Only down side is THEY CANNOT EVER BE MIXED...........so you do need a complete strip and clean of the system before using it..........but well worth it !

Pete F
UK (or whats left of it).
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds