• Page:

TOPIC:

Blind bearing puller 5 years 3 months ago #22493

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Which blind bearing pullers do you use for wheels?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blind bearing puller 5 years 3 months ago #22509

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I've always had to knock them out with a punch from the opposite side. They'll have to be replaced after that of course. If there's a spacer between the bearings it's just about impossible to use a puller.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Blind bearing puller 5 years 3 months ago #22510

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
There are pullers for it Bucko. I had Proto but it got worn and had to toss it. It's ridiculous here in Vancouver - I end up wasting hours looking for something and 'not available'! Such a small basic selection of everything here. Such a contrast to the USA. Same Amazon etc. - such a small selection comparing to across the border. Always waiting and waiting for everything..., as it has to be ordered form Ontario or Quebec!

I ordered something different this time as people said good things about this puller:

Motion Pro 8 Piece Metric Wheel Bearing Remover

I just bought a couple sizes separate, not the whole set.

Ideally, I'd like tho get one exactly like this:

Internal Spigot Puller ARX-YC610

I can't find a price on the website for this one, neither any purchase link (what are they thinking selling online???). It's across the ocean anyway, so perhaps expensive shipping.
There are similar available in the USA, but I still have to find the one I will like, to eventually buy. At the moment I just paid 20 bucks to have a shop remove one bearing. The punch didn't work unfortunately. (it was a Goldwing not KZ; I don't get why the spacer inside with all the free space isn't 'floating' easy to move out of the way but rather stuck solid between the bearings)

There are also other designs of removers for this job, most involve the 'spreading legs' or whatever you'd call it, like in the last one above.

Last edit: by StanG.

Blind bearing puller 5 years 3 months ago #22511

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
I don't own a blind puller. Had a wheel bearing a couple of weeks ago that I could not get out. Welded a nut over the hole in the bearing, then punched it out from the other side. Problem solved. No $ spent...
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Blind bearing puller 5 years 3 months ago #22512

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi Stan i used this to change the bearing in the front wheel. Its home made, cost none, simple and effective.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Blind bearing puller 5 years 3 months ago #22513

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Frank833:

I don't own a blind puller. Had a wheel bearing a couple of weeks ago that I could not get out. Welded a nut over the hole in the bearing, then punched it out from the other side. Problem solved. No $ spent...

That's what I would do for a quick DIY, except... how much $ was the welding machine? And a garage? LOL I'm in a 1 bedroom on a sixth floor. People forget this.

Daro, yes, I've seen machine screw adopted to it.

And something DIY here:

DiY blind bearing puller

The thing is, I don't have a lathe or a wise for the moment. I wouldn't have a solid enough table to attache a vise to anyway even if I had. The apartment is all covered with a carpet - that's the North American style. SO, not really set up for fabricating anything. Especially welding! haha But trust me, I have more than 10 design ideas about useful tools and problem solvers.

SO, I was more about a real manufactured tool. Those extractors were about CAN$ 10 each. Than 'punch' is very expensive in comparison, and I am regretting buying it, but what the hell. It can be replaced with a long ground chisel or a screw driver.

Those tools are arriving after January 1, in the meantime I paid that $20 and already put about 100 km on the wheel. If anyone knows, went to Point Roberts USA today. Big waves, strong winds! The bike was trying to go off the highway, but I am back safe :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds