Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Center stand helping frame handle 5 years 4 months ago #22431

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

I wonder if a center stand from the ZN1300 would fit? The construction is really clever and make it so much easier to lift up compared to the Z1300.

That's an interesting possibility I haven't considered as I've never seen one. Would be worth a try. Perhaps it would just need a little modification if any, that would be a problem for me. But ZN with all the fairings are heavier, right? It must be a good design then! Worthy of investigation.

Than at some point i build the passenger grab bar in which part of it is actually the handle itself and after that setting the bike on the stand have dramatically improved.

I can see this! That's actually the main reason I'd like to have it. At the moment I am stuck with making it as you know - the tools.
I'd have a helper with putting the bike on center stand, so with both attachments I can see a chance for success. I can put a heavier Goldwing on center stand driving it first on a piece of 2x4. But the KZ - not a chance!!! SO, definitely something way off with the engineering in this department. Quite weird considering it's made in Japan and I am tall there at only 5'9. Same with the height of the seat... It was a bike made in the 70's, so perhaps all of them were wearing platforms? lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

Center stand helping frame handle 5 years 4 months ago #22440

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
The XS Eleven I used to own had a superb main stand - so easy to use.
I find the KZ1300 , whilst acknowledging the fact that this bike is heavier than the Yamaha , needs quite a lot of effort to get it onto the stand.
Scotch posted details of a modification he made to his stand , which resulted in easier use. Have you seen that post, Stan?

Center stand helping frame handle 5 years 4 months ago #22444

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
No biltonjim, I haven't. As far as I know he cut off that middle cross bar. I've done that as well - so much easier to install the exhaust. Did he do anything else?

How was the XS 1100 by the way? In general, riding, maintenance, etc.

Center stand helping frame handle 5 years 4 months ago #22454

• PKZ1300
  • Thank you received: 8
I've come into this a bit late but I didn't think the big Z was difficult to get onto the stand once you push down on the foot piece on the centre stand. I've got a dodgy shoulder so can't really move too much weight. Compared to most other bikes I have only the BMW is easier. Try a Honda or a Z1a! The hard part with the Z is holding the mass of the bike to get your foot on the stand which is quite small for the size of the bike. Never seen this handle before so might have to look for one too.

Center stand helping frame handle 5 years 4 months ago #22455

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I step with my 230 pounds, at the moment but going down ;), on the center stand and absolutely nothing happens. Very dodgy trying to push the bike backwards at that point. It just seems like the stand is very tall. My next step will be organizing the passenger grab for the back.

Center stand helping frame handle 5 years 4 months ago #22456

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
The proper technique is to push down on the stand while pulling up on the 'handle' (which Stan is apparently missing). It shouldn't be that hard but I can see how it might be if the handle is missing.

PS: it's not a passenger grab rail - it's only on one side and it's there specifically to help get the bike on the centre stand.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds