• Page:

TOPIC:

DIY tire change 5 years 3 months ago #22392

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Lots of tools out there... Could anyone suggest what worked for them? Maybe a link to the tools and preferably in Canada, maybe Fort9?

Please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DIY tire change 5 years 3 months ago #22396

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
I’ve not changed enough MC titles to recommend any specific tools, but I have changed them and do car tires by hand 10-20 times a year.

For a MC, rim protector (set of 2) and 2 tire spoons. Also need some lube. I use Simple Green watered down. Need something that will dry completely.

Getting the bead broke can be a PITA. For cars and go kart, I have dedicated hand tools. For a MC, either step on them and work them with the spoon, or run over it with the car (just the tire, not the rim). Helps to pull the valve stem out. Once that is done, take the tire off.

The only trick is to realize that the middle of the rim is smaller diameter than the area where the tire rides. You want the bead in that smaller area 50% around to make the opposite end loose enough to get off.

I do car tires w/o tools, but find the spoons are needed on a MC.

Better to pull the brake disks off so they don’t get bent.

Don’t let you frustration build. If it does, you are trying to use brawn instead of brains.

On a set of rims you are going to paint, you can probably get by with just screw drivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by Frank833. Reason: Addition

DIY tire change 5 years 3 months ago #22397

• zebulon
  • Thank you received: 6
I bought myself a DIY tire changer. Have a look it's German but with pictures.The company is in Poland. I am sure you have something similar over there.

www.olmaxmotors.pl/index.php/angebote/re...e-changer-with-tools

Did my Benelli Sei tires.

DIY tire change 5 years 3 months ago #22401

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Here is how it's done. It really is that easy. I've done 200lb 4x4 tires down to kart tires.

DIY tire change 5 years 3 months ago #22402

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Stan,
I picked up a No-Mar tire changer a few years ago. I see that they've gone down in price. I paid $750.00. I couldn't be happier.

www.ebay.com/i/121575639731?chn=ps

Good Luck
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

DIY tire change 5 years 3 months ago #22411

• McZee
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
I buy my bike tyres on line so I have to fit them myself. The hardest part is removing the old tyre, so what I do is to cut through the side wall all the way round on both sides of the tyre with a stanley knife with a new blade and I lubricate it a bit with wd40 or something similar. The remaining steel bead is then easy to lever out. Clean up the wheel rim then apply a little lube. The new tyre goes on fairly easy using ordinary tyre levers.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds