Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22343

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
I have a similar riding style as Stan - defensive. My riding instructor was an ex-police rider and he taught me some defensive tricks and they have stuck. Happy to say that in 35 years of riding in and around London I have not clipped anything or have come off (knock-on-wood).

However, about three months ago I was coming off the slip road from the M1 motorway and coming up to the traffic lights a van decide to change lane without looking. I could not go either left or right and had to do an emergency stop on my '82 KZ1000p (without the screen, bars and panniers, so 60kg lighter than the full dresser police version) and the lack of retardation, despite squeezing the squishy handle nearly all the way in, scared me sufficiently to decide there and then to install upgraded front brakes on my project. I did check the brakes for wear and air etc. when I got home and they were fine, so the standard one-pot callipers for me are simply not up to it when it really counts.

I was going to look for upgraded brakes in combination with looking for new front forks... and then just like Pete, if necessary, make up conversion plates.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22345

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I'll chip in again, just to share experience - not to push any preferences or solutions.
Honestly, if I had some money laying around, I'd do the best brakes upgrade there is. Same with rear shocks - Ohlings that would probably set me back a couple thousand dollars? Why not - for riding! All the original parts would be tacked away nicely on a shelf.

On my bike, I did a complete rebuild of both calipers, including one brand new piston. The master cylinder - re-sleeved with stainless tube and of course new rebuild kit.
I found the brakes to be quite stiff. Maybe because of this? Even with a passenger, I had quite a number of sudden intersection light changes that mimicked emergency situation. It's true - I had to press hard on the lever, but the bike stopped dead no problem within safety. More power would make the tire slip, and I'm sure that would had happened in wet conditions. I was going a regular about 50-60 km'hr speeds. I have no problem locking up the rear wheel in dry conditions at much slower speeds.

For sure, for easy of operation, an upgrade absolutely makes sense. A powerful brake can be activated with one finger and do the job, and be safe after getting used to it. What I am saying is I am not feeling unsafe riding with what the bike has now, that is all original but properly refurbished.

Looking froward to see exactly which upgrades did you choose guys - photos please! ;)

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22349

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I like the idea that Pete has by fab. some mounting brackets to use better calipers. Has anyone else done this ?

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22350

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
If you look at the HOME PAGE of this site, both of my bikes on there (Z1300 Chopper) and Z1300 Black Special with 3 spoke wheels have got adapter plates fitted for better calipers.
The Z1300 Chopper ones were a bit "over engineered" in my opinion fro the ZRX1200 6 Pot Calipers but the ones on my Z1300 Black Special were spot on for the 4 Pot Calipers, which were very effective.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22360

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
What calipers did you use and from what application ?

Last edit: by trainers.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds