Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22330

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Still in the process looking for an early KZ13 but not any Luck yet ? I know these bikes only have single piston brake calipers jut like my 77' KZ1000

Are you guys using dual piston calipers or more on your front brakes ? And if so, is there someone fabricating caliper brackets to use these multi-piston calipers on the stock front forks ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22331

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I've been riding with stock one piston calipers, all plus master cylinder serviced, and I find them to stop the bike quite well. It would be cool to have Brembo or something similar, 6 pods etc., but personally I don't find it necessary.

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22332

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Stan, when I restored my 72' H2, I upgraded the stock single piston caliper to what was the Hot Ticket Kawasaki EX500 dual piston caliper. Big noticeable improvement and nice looking upgrade. I'm sure there are guys on the Forum that have done similar to this. Kind of like the Wow factor too.

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22334

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Oh yes, for sure! I have no doubt an upgrade would come with more breaking power. And the wow factor, of course! The 6 pot calipers look great!
I am keeping this bike stock though, and I am fine with pressing harder on the lever. Grip exercise, haha Might be good for health! But yes, modifying a bike I'd do brakes upgrade as well. The only thing I might do on my bike is getting stainless steel braided lines. They offered quite a noticeable braking power improvement on my other bike.

I ride 'defensively', never, or rather very seldom, I push the buttons coming closer to other road users. Of course, you can find yourself in traffic very close behind a bad car or a truck driver. But as a rule, I keep distance. And going through intersections, I slow down, often until eye contact, unless the road is completely clear. In fact, its easy to lock the rear and front tires and slide. With powerful breaks it would be even more sensitive. In a peculiar way, weaker breaks might be of advantage in certain situations. That's my take on this anyway, I'm used to it.

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22337

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Pretech do bespoke 4 & 6 pot front brake calipers for the Z1300 www.pretech.co.uk/
Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonto, Kawboy, McBoney

Upgraded front brake calipers ? 5 years 4 months ago #22342

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
The obstacle you need to overcome is the centre to centre measurement of the caliper mounting holes on the fork legs of a 1300.

These do not match up with any 4 or 6 pot calipers from other bikes unfortunately.
I made some conversion plates which had the 2 holes to align with the fork leg mount holes, and also had the 2 holes behind to match up with common 4 pot calipers from a different bike.
I made "dummy" conversion templates from thin wooden board to get the perfect alignment and shape first, then bought 6mm plate metal and made the conversion plates.
This didnt take long to do and the outcome was great !

Ive looked for images of the templates but cannot find them unfortunately.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds