Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22329

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Phil, I'm assuming that when using these later front ends, you're using the 17" wheel ? What would happen if you just left the front fork length stock and maybe went to an 18" front wheel ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22336

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

trainers wrote: Phil, I'm assuming that when using these later front ends, you're using the 17" wheel ? What would happen if you just left the front fork length stock and maybe went to an 18" front wheel ?

Yes I'm using the ZZR1100 17" front wheel. I'm guessing you're thinking of using an 18" wheel instead to minimise how long the front forks look? We're only talking an extra inch in diameter so it would make minimal difference if at all. If you were to fit the original 18" wheel in the ZZR1100 forks first you'd run into the issues of mating that wheel to the forks. Also, if you didn't lengthen the forks to maintain the original front ride height the front geometry would be all wrong & you'd very much suffer cornering clearance issues.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22409

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
I have been investigating what would potentially be involved in changing the front end and it can become quite involved...

Never even knew about the impact a small difference in offset can make (the distance between centre of shocks to centre of the steering pin) and the relationship of that with the size of the front wheel and length of the shocks... not to mention the possible differences in steering 'stem' dimensions (length, thickness, thread, bearing width/girth/placement etc etc).

As I am only thinking of changing the forks to make it look different, maybe I should not create work for myself and only change the forks for upside down ones. Just finding some to fit the existing yokes will be difficult enough. And the work in matching/mating the brake discs and callipers to the existing wheel will also be enough troublesome...

:S
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22534

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I found out that the 2011-2017 Ducati Multistrada forks are long enough to fit without lengthening (they start at 835mm and go up to 865mm, KZ1300 are 830mm). If I can get a complete front end with brakes/discs, yoke and tree, I only have to swap out the steering pin.....

.... apparently, but of course no-one has tried this yet, so I am taking a leap of faith here...

Paul

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22553

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
This what I really would like to do, is find a KZ13 without a front end and build the bike I would like it to be.

Last edit: by trainers.

Different front end ? 5 years 3 months ago #22782

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have found a complete front end off a 2011 Ducati Multistrada in excellent condition. Gold coloured, front USD Ohlins electronic front forks, 17 inch black, 7-spoked wheel with double discs and dual two-pot calipers, steering yoke and triple tree. I have done some research and the fork lengths is OK (850mm, KZ is 830mm) and the offset is virtually identical. The guy wants about USD 950 which is a lot of cash, but I'm thinking a good deal.

My biggest concern is whether the steering pin will fit, or if my KZ one can be used... The other concern is that these are electronically controlled shocks and the control box is not there, so there are set where they are.... which is don't-know-where...

Paul

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds