Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 4 months ago #22093

• roadhazard
  • Thank you received: 6
I've patched an almost new rear tire on my Yamaha FJR the Slime brand kit.Worked just fine and i rode for about a month on it.But i just couldn't quit worrying about it so i went ahead and got a new tire. Wasn't worth the stress to me. Some people do it and have no problems for the remaining life of the tread.
1980 Kz 1300 b2 touring
1980 kz 1300 A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 4 months ago #22095

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I decided I'm going to see if I can fix it so the bike is drivable, and stay away from the highway. At least for the winter. Another alternative is to pull the plug on it and the license plate and make it again a bike sitting in a 'barn'.

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 4 months ago #22113

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I've done some more research and indeed it seems like my bad luck is even worse - the puncture is on the edge of a thread. I've read that tires with puncture to the side wall or edge of the thread are not reparable. I imagine it might lead to a tear under load, so that is it. Regardless, as I mentioned, I am going to patch it so I can move it in the garage, and perhaps take it around the building in the back lane for now. My other daily bike needs a new rear tire as well (nice timing), and that's a priority - unless I go back to taking buses and have two bikes rotting! LOL The building I live in has been a construction zone for six months now and will be for a few more, and other people are getting their tires punctured, I will get a new tire for the KZ once all this BS is over.

I haven't searched for this system here in Canada. What do you think? It looks good to me, and watching some videos it seems to actually seal the hole.

Cheers!

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 4 months ago #22121

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I've used mushroom plugs before and didn't replace the plugged tires until they were worn out.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by Bucko.

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 4 months ago #22123

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Good to hear that Bucko. I just ordered that kit. Kind of worried because the hole isn't straight down but angled, but we'll see. Either way, this mushroom plugs kit will go with me everywhere.

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 4 months ago #22125

• Raygun
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
I plugged a hole in the rear tire on my 1300 with the rope style/rubber cement plug 9 months ago and it's still going great. Forgot all about it until this post actually. I don't think it would fail suddenly on the road anyway, just leak down like the hole did before. But that's my 2 cents.
1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3

Last edit: by Raygun.
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds