Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bike sitting a long time, no brakes 5 years 6 months ago #21132

• kz1300texas
  • kz1300texas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1300 that has been sitting for a long time, no pressure in front or rear brakes, I was going to blead them but I am afraid its probably more than that. The bike has been in a temperature controlled environment so rust is not an issue. I am looking for suggestions on how to proceed. Bleed first? Push old fluid through? What has been your experiences with a bike sitting for several years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike sitting a long time, no brakes 5 years 6 months ago #21133

• McZee
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Don’t take any chances with your brakes. Take off the calipers and renew the seals, do the same with the master cylinders. Also replace the old rubber brake hoses with steel braided ones. Bleed everything thru and they will last you for years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DannyKZ, Kawboy

Bike sitting a long time, no brakes 5 years 6 months ago #21136

• giorgi3
  • Thank you received: 7
I have just recently began working on a second KZ 1300 that has been sitting in the garage since 1996. I kept it around for parts, but my #1 KZ 1300 hasn't had any issues to require them, so I decided to see if I could get it back in running shape.

I bled the back brake line and got it working. The front brake master cylinder was full of gunk. The lines were clogged and had to be replaced. I also cleaned all the old gunk off the calipers and re-seated them per the manual. It took a while but I eventually got all brakes working 'ok' for now. I'll probably do a complete rebuild of seals at some point in the near future as McZee suggested.

Last edit: by giorgi3.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds