Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

FRONT radial tire? 6 years 1 month ago #18774

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Any recommendations for the 110 size? It's extremely difficult to find radials in this size. My Vmax front had the same size and I had to settle for 100. I am pretty close to settling on bias ply tires at this point. Avon AM26 ply 110/90-18 and 140/80-17 rear. But the Metzeler ME888 Marathon sounds fantastic, just need to find a good radial tire for the front.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FRONT radial tire? 6 years 1 month ago #18788

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
I notice that mizztheman has chosen those Avons for his bike.

FRONT radial tire? 6 years 1 month ago #18793

• Haggler
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
I am very happy with my avon road riders, good all weather grip and so far good mileage too

FRONT radial tire? 6 years 1 month ago #18802

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I know this subject has been discussed a lot before, so I apologize to anyone rolling their eyes, haha
The fact is, there is so much out there in terms of brands and tire sizes, and different people have different experiences with them. It's hard to make up my mind. I bet this subject will keep coming back with many new KZ1300 owners! Once you buy a set, which are more than a price of a hamburger, you will most likely be stuck with them for a long time. It's an important decision.

I am back to the tire size calculator and tire suppliers trying to match a pair. Avon AV26 will stay as one option.
Metzeler ME888 have a very good reputation, including wet conditions. There is a good rear radial 150/80R17 72V, I just need to match a front one. Unfortunately ME888 have the right size but not radial! Avon has radial 110/80ZR18. They just have two different patterns, and that's what's holding me back. I would prefer something closer in design.
There is a ME888 130/70R18 63H. That's quite wider than stock. What are your thoughts on this one? Might looks bulky, even if fit.

It would be good to have a list of current modern pairs of tires (brands plus sizes) with the experience.

FRONT radial tire? 6 years 1 month ago #18803

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I spent more time online and here are my current choices so far:
  • Radials: Front: Avon 110/80ZR18 Storm 3DX-M or 100/90ZR18, Rear: Metzeler 150/80R17 72V ME888 (when available)
  • Bias Ply: Front: Avon AM26 Roadrider 110/90-18 or 100/90-18, Rear: Avon AM26 Roadrider 140/80-17

As a reminder, stock sizes are front 110/90-18 and rear 130/90-17.

I'm leaning towards 100/90 front tire.
If going with radials I would prefer 140/80 if available, but so far can't find one.
The wall height as close as possible to stock tire sizes.
Anything above and including H ratings.
Anything above and including 58 rating, but 64 better.
I am paying close attention to how the behave in wet conditions.
Some of these tires don't show all the ratings on the website, but from the description they are used on comparatively heave bikes, so I think there is no issue there.
I will double check before pulling out the wallet.

Last edit: by StanG.

FRONT radial tire? 6 years 1 month ago #18809

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Stan, not sure if it helps, but Bridgestone do the BT45's in the 140/80 size (69V rating): In the UK it seems to be Avon Road Riders or Bridgestone BT45's as the tyre of choice for a lot of classic owners: personal choice I know, but I prefer how the BT45's perform.

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds