Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

fork noise 10 years 3 months ago #1195

• patlem
  • patlem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello there , having a little problem with my 80 kz1300 , when I apply the front brake ,as the fork compresses ,I seem to get this high pitch noise and when the fork comes back to normal the noise is gone. any ideas where I should look first ? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

fork noise 10 years 3 months ago #1202

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Sounds to me like a squeal in the brake caliper. Try a light coating of optimol grease on the backing plate of the pad where it touches the piston.
Also I have seen bad wheel bearings cause a squeal like that, not common but it does occasionally happen.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: patlem

fork noise 10 years 3 months ago #1204

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
If you think the noise is from within the forks try compressing and extending the forks while standing astride the bike with the front brake clamped as tight as you can hold it. If all you hear is the sliding and fluid sounds of a properly operating fork then Rick is probably correct. You're hearing the disk brakes squeal.

PS: Welcome to KZ1300.com!

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

fork noise 10 years 3 months ago #1210

• patlem
Thanks guys , I just replaced the front pads tonite and will test ride it tomorrow , hope that's it and if that is it , that would be the weirdest brake noise I ever heard on a bike. Bad news , while working on the bike , I noticed my headlight shell has a big crack on the bottom, will have to mix some epoxy until I find another one .Also , just installed a fuel pump from a older zx9 , fits perfectly in the tool tray under the seat , works great but again ,need to test ride .Little tip , if any of you are looking for a DG exhaust , try dirtoverstock.com , got one for $400.
Pat

fork noise 10 years 3 months ago #1211

• pete1958
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 6
Last week I had a lot of ice and snow on the truck so I ran it thru the car wash. every time I got up to 40 mph I heard this loud whistle. turned out to be the passenger window open just a hair. I am guessing the crack in the head light might be causing the same thing with your bike. Easy to figure out with some tape . Long shot but who knows
a bunch of old kawasaki`s

fork noise 10 years 3 months ago #1225

• patlem
ok tested the bike with new brakes and all , noise still there and even stays on a little bit after I stop fully ??? could it be the tach or speedo cable making that high pitch noise ??? I am not a newbie , been restoring quite a few old kawis , well let you know w
hen I find the problem [ whenever we get another nice weekend here in NY]

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds