TOPIC:

broken bleed nipple 7 years 7 months ago #13857

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Guys
anyone got any ideas on getting a broken bleed nipple out of a front caliper, i am thinking of trying to drill it out but have no idea how hard the material is and am worried about snapping a drill bit in the nipple
cheers
Paulb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

broken bleed nipple 7 years 7 months ago #13858

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
i have tried this many times with little success.
a good sharp drill will work but getting the hole drilled perfectly central is slim unless you have a jig
then you will need the drill cutting angle to be the same as the taper on the end of the bleed nipple to stand any chance of it working
so that a new one will seal when you screw it in, that all relies on you being able to clear out the old thread.

the best advise i would give is to get a banjo bolt with a bleed nipple in the top
just move the caliper so that the brake line is at the top.

there is a company in the north of england that refurbs calipers, not sure if they will do any for a Z13

sorry if its doom and gloom but i am on my third rear caliper for the same reasons.
if anyone has any better ideas im sure they will post a reply
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

broken bleed nipple 7 years 7 months ago #13861

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
as the bleeder has a hole in it can you get a small easy out into the bleeder and maybe apply a small amount of heat to try and break it free/loose of the caliper.
can you post an image so we can see how it looks

broken bleed nipple 7 years 7 months ago #13863

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25

stocktoy wrote: as the bleeder has a hole in it can you get a small easy out into the bleeder and maybe apply a small amount of heat to try and break it free/loose of the caliper.
can you post an image so we can see how it looks

And as the bleeder has a hole, you can use sequentially larger drill bits to drill it out and have the hole centered. Start with a drill bit just slightly larger than the nipple hole and work your way up. I did one years ago like this and got it to the point where I could use a pick and pull out the remaining thread of the broken nipple.

You can try an ezy-out but you need to be extremely careful not to snap it off in the hole....

Also get some heat on the caliper body - MAPP gas is probably hot enough (make sure you have all the seals and any rubber bits removed before you do this).

Good luck with it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds