• Page:

TOPIC:

Fork Seals, new one leaking already... 7 years 10 months ago #13151

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
So after just a few hundred miles I have one fork seal that's leaking... well king of leaking. It only leaks when compressed down a lot, like when stabbing the front breaks, or a rough spot in the road. Otherwise its dry. If I grab the breaks and the font dives down it will leave a thing ring or oil on the fork tube. When I first noticed this I puled the dust boot up and found the seal itself was dry. So it only leaks when the fork tube is compressed in. Its a minor leak, not enough to drip down the forks or anything...

I used OEM seals when I did the job, with 15W fork oil to the proper level. Any suggestions as to what is causing this?

Is there a better grade of seal to use, It almost seams to me like the seal is just weak...
1981 KZ1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fork Seals, new one leaking already... 7 years 10 months ago #13152

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Tyler,
Get yerself one o these. I recently had five bikes with nine leaking fork seals. I ran the seal mate through each seal and around once and all nine are holding fine three months later. These bikes are run for training every weekend.
www.ktm-parts.com/AOMC/product/03640006-...6ft80CFYqPfgodDJMFkQ
When I withdrew the seal mate I was expectin to find some sort of dirt or debris, no such luck. It's possible that the sealmate just arranged the sealing lips correctly. I don't know how it worked but I will never replace a fork seal again unless I've given one of these a chance.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, Ledkz1300

Last edit: by KZQ.

Fork Seals, new one leaking already... 7 years 10 months ago #13153

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Eh for $5 it can't hurt to try!
1981 KZ1300

Fork Seals, new one leaking already... 7 years 10 months ago #13158

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

KZQ wrote: Hi Tyler,
Get yerself one o these. I recently had five bikes with nine leaking fork seals. I ran the seal mate through each seal and around once and all nine are holding fine three months later. These bikes are run for training every weekend.
www.ktm-parts.com/AOMC/product/03640006-...6ft80CFYqPfgodDJMFkQ
When I withdrew the seal mate I was expectin to find some sort of dirt or debris, no such luck. It's possible that the sealmate just arranged the sealing lips correctly. I don't know how it worked but I will never replace a fork seal again unless I've given one of these a chance.
Bill

Just to add to this info, it might help to understand how this tool works. I've never heard of it so I found a Youtube video describing the use .

Last edit: by KZQ.

Fork Seals, new one leaking already... 7 years 10 months ago #13164

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I'm definitely going to order one of these. I have slight leaks around my seals.

Fork Seals, new one leaking already... 7 years 10 months ago #13167

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
If you have only just installed new seals that tool wont help as it cleans the bits of bugs etc that accumulate and lets the seal lip contact the chrome surface.

It is always worth cleaning the lip with one of those tools but as they are new there probably wont be a build up of bug parts.

The most common cause of older forks leaking is that the slider no longer fits the leg well and the seal cant compensate for the movement.
I have seen forks bored out at the top and a sleeve inserted which has helped because it holds the slider concentric with the leg.

Also if you bought the Pyramid Parts seals try some OEM or at least better quality. I had one of them turn inside out on a slow entry into a large pothole when the forks bottomed and oil sprayed everywhere including into my radiator which then clogged with oilsoaked dust
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds