• Page:

TOPIC:

Home Made 6 into 1 7 years 11 months ago #12110

• charlie9670
  • charlie9670's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Hope I'm not posting too much at the moment but the plans are all coming together..This one is is looking for thumbs up or forget it! Got my stainless 6 into 2 to go on and have the bike looking pretty standard. The plan is to have a "loud" paintjob done on the spare colourset I've pieced together and I would like a 6 into 1 with the loudest scream possible as I am a big kid and like to show off.The exhaust that came on the bike is virtually unsellable as its been cut to bits and badly welded back together with bits of drainpipe and is covered in rust. It is however solid and strangely looked fine on the bike unless you looked closely. Does it seem feasable to get the two ends joined to 1 with a bit more drainpipe and try some different endpipes on until I get the sound I am looking for, and hopefully not looking like a complete arse...Just ignore me if you want...the Mrs always does when I start waffling!

:) Z13 UK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Home Made 6 into 1 7 years 11 months ago #12113

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
I don't think you should waste Charlie, they could be painted is the first one, take a look into ceramic painting, done in black they would look great against a silver motor you can always adapt for other cans they already worked on your bike
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Home Made 6 into 1 7 years 11 months ago #12114

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Don't see why not, looking at the first photo all it would take would be to cut the left hand pipe pipe after the collector & join it to the right hand pipe after it's collector, which was pretty much the set up when I had my 6 into 1. BTW it's gonna be LOUD without any kind of silencer, but I think you know that lol.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Home Made 6 into 1 7 years 11 months ago #12117

• charlie9670
  • charlie9670's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
The black ceramic coating does sound like a good idea. Am I right in thinking the 6 into 1 gives a very different sound than 2, I remember hearing one back in the day with an Alpha or Piper on it and thinking "thats what I want" ..but that was 30+yrs ago, think all the Alphas and Pipers had rotted away by the 90's so probably wouldn't find one , won't stop me looking though.
:) Z13 UK

Home Made 6 into 1 7 years 11 months ago #12123

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Having had both exhaust configurations on my 1300, there isn't a vastly different sound, but I think they sound better 6 into 2, preferably with a balance pipe. But that's just my opinion ;)
Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie9670

Last edit: by Phil.

Home Made 6 into 1 7 years 11 months ago #12124

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
There was an interesting read in Cycle World magazine regarding the engineering that Honda did in designing the exhaust for the CBX before the original release date. The article talked about the different baffle systems they played with in order to get the "sound " they wanted. One pipe system they had for trial made the CBX sound like a turbine.

Anyway, the "sound" you're after is the end result after the baffle system washes out the various pitches in the note of the sound. Sometimes just changing the density of the baffling material will completely change the sound. Also the length of the baffle and the diameter of the baffle will alter the sound.
Exhaust timing will have a big effect on the sound as well. The closer to top dead centre the exhaust opens will give a crisper crack or a more positive pulse than an exhaust the opens later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie9670

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds