Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bleeding my rear brake. What am I doing wrong? 8 years 6 months ago #9434

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Sorry for whining. It's been the summer of disappointment for me on so many levels. This was supposed to be my fun and its been anything but. Trying to relive my glory years..

I'm no mechanic so that's been a problem too.

The master cylinder is under the reservoir? The bore is where the banjo bolt sits? I did hold my thumb over that hole and it does build pressure.. I can feel it pushing and sucking behind my finger. Not much, but its there. It was the last thing I checked before giving up after 6 hours. There appears to be no fluid leaking anywhere around that entire assembly. Should I pump with my finger over the hole to prime it? Is that the step I missed?

When I said I cleaned it I did not disassemble the master cylinder. I sprayed the brake clean in the reservoir and sprayed it down the bore hole and scrubbed it out with foam Q-tips used for cleaning electronics. Then sprayed more, let sit and dumped it out several times.

Should I be stripping this down further?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bleeding my rear brake. What am I doing wrong? 8 years 6 months ago #9439

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
I had a similar issue with mine wouldn't bleed even with a vacuum bleeder.so I pulled the master cylinder apart cleaned up the bore wich had a little bit of rust and it has been fine ever since .

Bleeding my rear brake. What am I doing wrong? 8 years 6 months ago #9440

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Would it be difficult to explain how it comes apart? I'm a little lost.

I swapped the entire assembly including the foot peg so I didn't break it down.

Bleeding my rear brake. What am I doing wrong? 8 years 6 months ago #9441

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
If you used "brake cleaner" in the master cylinder with the u-cup in the master, then you've probably screwed the u-cup seal. The brake cleaner is too aggressive a cleaner for cleaning the system. Alcohol used to be the cleaner of choice for brake systems. My preference is fresh brake fluid.

It's sad to think that they named the product "brake cleaner" because it leads you to believe that you can use it on all of your brake parts. This product is more toxic to rubber than ethanol. Try using a cloth with the brake cleaner on it and wipe a piece of rubber with it then check the cloth. It'll be the same color of the rubber and that tells you that it dissolved the rubber.

Sorry,
KB

Bleeding my rear brake. What am I doing wrong? 8 years 6 months ago #9448

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Have a search there may be a thread on it somewhere if not Download the manual And another thing that I use sometimes is the parts diagrams .
Just google kz1300 microfiche Or similar you'll find something. .

Bleeding my rear brake. What am I doing wrong? 8 years 6 months ago #9454

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well, that's probably what I did. Screwed the seals by using brake cleaner on it. Such a misnomer... brake cleaner... and I was too dumb to realize it. Leave to me to ruin the good parts.

I found an exploded view and it looks like rebuild kits are available for it. More money and more time. Sigh.... Anyone know offhand if the Ebay kits are worth it? With the US exchange I lose again.

Thanks Fellas.

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds