• Page:

TOPIC:

What is the best braking mod? 8 years 9 months ago #8068

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I'm wondering what mod would best serve to upgrade my brakes. The old girls brakes are as bad as I remember. Mushy with no real stopping power. What is the best value to improve this? Is there an after market or other braking system I could swap to? Braided lines?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What is the best braking mod? 8 years 9 months ago #8070

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I didn't notice any difference when I put braided hoses on mine. But they can only help.

Pretech are the only direct bolt on callipers for the Z13 that I'm aware of - and they're not cheap. I'd love a set but just can't afford them.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

What is the best braking mod? 8 years 9 months ago #8071

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I guess braided hoses and some modern pads (EBC or Kyoto here in the UK) should improve things a bit ?
The only alternate system Ive ever seen was a Brembo 4 piston caliper set up with new rotors and adaptors: its available from Helmut at MCG in Germany, should really improve things, but alas its prohibitively expensive for me. www.z1300.de/

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

What is the best braking mod? 8 years 9 months ago #8073

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Wow those Brembos aren't cheap at $1199 EU.

What is the best braking mod? 8 years 9 months ago #8098

• AERIAL0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Trying using Automec silicone brake fluid. Been using the fluid for years and found to be ok. Does not absorb moisture and has a much higher boiling point plus does not strip the paint of your body work if you spill any. Dearer than standard fluids but long term cheaper as do not need to change on a regular basis. First used on my track bike and never had a problem so use in all my bikes.

What is the best braking mod? 8 years 9 months ago #8101

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
My personal experience would have me suggest to any one to go with S/S braided lines all round as the first step. On my own '80 - the S/S lines made all the difference in the world. I have no issues or concerns about my braking power with the stock calipers. I run an inexpensive "Sumo" caliper pad on front. Excellent performance and negligible dust.
It's critical with any brake work to ensure the fluid is clean, to spec. and bled of air 100%.
The stock lines were inappropriate and simply got worse with age.
It's also critical that you apply the brakes correctly. Comments i have seen in the past regarding the stock calipers locking-up, may likely be due to, 1) incorrect balance of application between front and rear, 2) calipers require service due to internal issues, 3) lack of awareness or sudden change in road surface conditions. (speed Too fast for road conditions) The working health of the caliper is essential. If seals and internals prevent smooth proportional application and unhindered return then you're beating a dead horse.
My calipers have never been apart. They have never leaked, seized or failed to perform in any context. luck? Who knows!

Will admit that a multi-puck looks cool.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, Ledkz1300

Last edit: by scotch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds