Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you make pieces and parts or provide services for Kawasaki Sixes you may post links here to your business or product catalog. If you're just into 1300's and have found a business that you like to deal with post it up here.

TOPIC:

Possible parts remanufacturing 5 years 7 months ago #20853

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Hi all I'll put this in a few areas, as im not sure what place/heading would grab the most interest
Maybe Bill/Kawaboy may place some where they think will get the most attention
i have been speaking to a company here in New Zealand regarding fabrication of plastic parts
specifically
Water catchment/overflow bottle
Battery or tool tray
covers for the horns
and the covers for carbs/airbox
fuse box cover
they can remanufacture all of these, obviously to expensive for a one off project
so im asking all who may be interested to please let me know what you would buy if you could get new
what would you think is a fair price for each item
if their is a lot of REALISTC interest, (obviously a radiator overflow bottle is not going to be $20.00) then the company will look at getting moulds made and do production of some or all if their is the demand
i think this is a great opportunity, and for those outside of NZ our dollar is weak so would i think work out viable.
Dion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Possible parts remanufacturing 5 years 7 months ago #20855

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I've done a bit of moderating here for you Dion. I've created a new topic specifically for this.

I appreciate the effort you've gone to here. You obviously have contacts in the plastic manufacturing and you're willing to spearhead an effort to have parts remanufactured and we appreciate that as a group.

I think to get the ball rolling you may need to approach the manufacturer with the items you think may be of interest to us and get a rough quote based on maybe 20 items, 50 items, 100 items and then post the costs based on these numbers. I would think that if we could get radiator expansion tanks for $50-$100 dollars a piece, you may have sufficient members to make a go of it.

Air box covers as another example, is a nice to have and not a need to have and some may not want the polished stainless look so I'm thinking that item may not sell as well. Still worth getting a rough quote and seeing what the members may want.

The bottom line would be that the expectation would probably be to have access to items reproduced to the original spec i.e. regarding the expansion tank- same material (type of plastic) same size and fitment and able to withstand the same temperature tolerances. And last but not least, who's responsible if the part fails? You or the manufacturer?

It's an ambitious idea but not without consequences.

Good luck with your "project"

KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dion

Possible parts remanufacturing 5 years 7 months ago #20863

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
If you're talking about 'old school' moulding I assume the mould tools are the killer cost.

Most of the items described appear similar in general size, so material cost is negligible comparatively, so as Kawboy says a pretty accurate estimate of typical tool-cost divided by 'X' units would be a very good indicator if it's viable?
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

Possible parts remanufacturing 5 years 7 months ago #20864

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Thanks for that Kawboy
i have spent quite a lot of time on this here.
i have a company who has the capability of replicating the parts 100 percent or at a cheaper cost making very similar.
in some cases they would look at making moulds (eg the overflow bottle) and this would be made from the same polyethylene as original,it would identical to a new one.
the horn covers could be made from a standard black ABS plastic then you paint or they can have chromed etc, same as carb side shrouds these can be made plain black plastic or chromed.
as stated it comes down to how much interest is shown on the site as to weather or some of the items are none of the items are made.
im not looking for orders/guarantees from people they will buy, just how many would be interested if this was to happen and what they would be interested in
the company concerned are happy to wear some costs in the software development for all this to happen if their looks to be a ongoing demand.
i have no interest in making money out of it other than to recover my monetary costs, the company will make and guarantee quality of product (no different than buying your parts from a shop)
i simply thought after being unable to get parts im after it might be a good exercise to see if we could get some one to make all these parts at a cost effective price with the ability of a ongoing supply.
i should have some basic costs hopefully next week from the company as they are working out what costs would be involved for the items, im hoping with the NZ dollar being low it may keep costs down for overseas buyers, but cant give more info than that presently
so please voice your thoughts as if i get none ill figure their is no interest
Dion

Possible parts remanufacturing 5 years 7 months ago #20865

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
For me it would be a good idea. I plan on restoring a bike every couple of years , just as a hobby.
And, the second hand market / demand for these bike has never been higher than it is now. Still not at Honda money but close.
Just a comment on the parts you mention. The horn covers - both sizes are available new already. As are the carb side covers.

There was a guy in England who was selling the battery box / tool tray a while back- made by a 3D printer.

But one big thing in your favour is a weak currency exchange . Canadian dollar is low as well and the German shop , or any of the European sellers are very expensive for me.

As most of your parts would go out of the country, shipping is another big issue. How buying a $18.00 wire crimper from China and ship it for .99c defies logic, but they do it.

Good luck.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Possible parts remanufacturing 5 years 7 months ago #20867

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Personally I've already collected all I need for the current bike. But these bikes are addictive! I definitely see myself creating another one in the future. Although there is preference for original parts, I can definitely see a big need for whatever does the job and looks great. Well manufactured copies at reasonable price would find buyer for sure. One example, and I would add this to the list of possible fabrications, would be those fuel tank chrome basis for Kawasaki labels.

I am on the same piece of land as you tacklehappy. The spot where the Canadian dollar secured its place is ridiculous and pathetic factors, and unfortunately prohibiting us from buying from Europe! Even from the USA, if you include the shipping, it has became expensive.
I am lucky living close to the border, so I get things shipped to a pick up service right across the border and pay them the now US $3.75 fee per package. Very often the shipping withing the US is free. And yes, I ordered things from China costing 99 cents and the shipping was free! It also puzzles me how that works. Unless they have a special deals on shipping in bulk and selling in quantities, even if they make 20 cents on an item, adds up.

Good thing if New Zealand and Canadian dollar are similar. But I don't think there is a big market here. On the other hand, it would make the prices competitive and attractive in the USA and Europe.

So, just to add to the list, I think the headlight bucket and those fuel tank label mounts would find buyers.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds