Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you make pieces and parts or provide services for Kawasaki Sixes you may post links here to your business or product catalog. If you're just into 1300's and have found a business that you like to deal with post it up here.

TOPIC:

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18831

• KZLTD80
  • KZLTD80's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you very much--I have not reached out to Johnny's yet, but will report back next week when I do. I have had some success locating 2 resources in the bay area that may be what I'm looking for--I have an appointment to meet with both next week. I will report back if they are what I think they may be-
And I agree--finding a Kawasaki resource that has the experience and frankly passion for these older bikes will be ideal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18835

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I agree with previous posters about sourcing parts early. It's indispensable if you want a smooth restoration. On the other hand, you might be getting good deals simply monitoring the web instead of trying making deals early. I got great deals at the end of my searches with last minute calls, and I could never be happier. Sometimes you got to buy double, but it's a process leading to eventually getting the right one. It's an old bike, it's not as easy to get a good part straight off shelf. You can always resale things you don't want.
Basic seals, bearings, gaskets, they all can be bought beforehand. Brakes kits, filters, just get them. Put them in a box and ship to the shop. Any left overs will be your stock.

Last edit: by StanG.

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18844

• KZLTD80
That's great advice--I've often wondered how much longer consumables such oil filters, brake linings and related will be available for these older machines. I suppose as long as there is a market/demand, someone will serve it--but at what price? I will do as you suggest--I think it would not only help me, but others who may need these older parts as well.
I have found a great carb shop in San Jose that rebuilds carbs for the KZ1300--somewhat to concourse standards--quality work for sure. I am still searching for a known, reliable, local resource to address the top end. Several out of state--but no one yet here in the bay area. We have a healthy community of vintage Japanese enthusiasts--will find someone eventually.
Appreciate everyone's contribution to this thread-

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18846

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I think if you have all the bike's body parts you are way ahead. I had no seat, all lights were missing, no rear end or cover, no foot pegs, and I am still missing the fork ears.
I just got the rear end toolbox for ten bucks! :) For maintenance, there are a few things which hardly exist. But most can be sourced. Our friend eBay is at the top of the list. Then there is Helmut in Germany and his online store. Here, in Canada, Kawasaki dealership still carries some parts.
My strategy with top end was to keep an eye on used parts. I ended up buying 2 cylinder blocks, salvaging good sleeve and pressing it into another block. I have 4 cylinder blocks now, one (the original one) completely stripped. I will probably ceramic coat it at one point and just keep it or pass it on. Aftermarket piston ring sets are available online. Top end - got a full set of aftermarket valves. Kawasaki still has oem valve guides. Also oem cylinder head gasket. To complete the rear end (tail light, mounting, fender etc.) I think I used and combined parts from 7 different sources. I ended up with a couple extra left overs, but that's just like a bonus considering the prices I got them at getting a bundle cheaper than someone would normally ask for the one part I wanted.
I am still uphill in my restoration but soon it will be easier. I am already feeling nostalgic talking about this, hahaha
For re-sleeving master cylinders Karp's in California.
Looking forward to what more you found out!

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18850

• KZLTD80
Fortunately the bike is very complete with excellent tins and paint. I have read through your post about the work you are doing and I must say you are more than impressive--the progress shared to this point is nothing short of amazing. Your attention to detail commands my respect and I'm sure others that witness your results--very impressive indeed!
Thank you for sharing the names of the parts sources you use--I will keep them handy when/if needed. The company in California that I mentioned that rebuilds the carbs here in San Jose is www.oldschoolcarbs.com/ . They do their share of Honda's, but refreshingly Kawasaki's too and the KZ1300 in particular. I'll post the rebuild/mechanic sources as I vet them--don't want to share if I am unable to confirm the work quality.
Love what you are doing with your project and so very pleased to see you rescue on of these sixes. Very cool-

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18852

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Ah, yes, I've read about oldschoolcarbs.com, and their work in relation to Honda CBX carbs. They would be a good choice for your carb rebuild if that is necessary, and if you don't want to attempt it yourself.

You mentioned that you also have a 1981 KZ1300. What condition is that in? Have you ridden it much? If so, I'd love to hear what your impressions are of the bike, in terms of performance, sound, and handling. I'm always keen to know what owners think about these bikes, especially since I have never - yet - ridden one. My 1300 is a restoration project, yet to be commenced.
A photo would be nice, too. Also, a photo of your KZ1000 LTDs - I like those!

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds