Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you make pieces and parts or provide services for Kawasaki Sixes you may post links here to your business or product catalog. If you're just into 1300's and have found a business that you like to deal with post it up here.

TOPIC:

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18783

• KZLTD80
  • KZLTD80's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I've recently come in contact with a '80 KZ 1300 that needs engine work--it uses oil and the pistons/rings likely need replacement.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in California that works on these sixes? I am in the SF Bay, but am willing to transport the bike to the right shop if the shop is out of the immediate area. The bike is complete with no engine modifications.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations--much appreciated.
Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18787

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Are you not confident enough to have a go yourself? The factory manual, in combination with the help you could call upon from forum members, would go a long way.

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18791

• KZLTD80
Thank you for your encouragement and support. While I know my way around routine maintenance items such as oil changes, cable changes, tire changes etc, replacing a top end on one of these big KZ sixes is something I would prefer to leave an experienced mechanic or shop. The reasoning centers on a a couple of things--one is time as I am fairly submerged with work and owning these older bikes is a hobby for me. The other and really most important reason is the parts for this bike are in short supply and for this application, I am looking for oversized pistons to avoid installing a big bore kit. The walls on this bike are reasonably thin, so I want to install the oversized slugs--these things are pretty rare. My feeling is a good mechanic or shop will have access to parts sources that I don't--and will be able to supply my preferred solution. I am fairly particular about the work I have performed on my bikes and am willing to invest the funds to have the work done properly--even if that means shipping the bike. So, if you have had a good experience with a mechanic or shop that has a history repairing with these old Kaw's, please send it my way. I've identified a shop on the east coast, but would prefer to use a local resource (California) if possible. Thanks again for your support-

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18792

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
You may find you'll need to source the parts yourself before having the shop open up the engine and start the work. Unless this shop has an inside track on 1300 specific parts they probably won't have much luck finding them or get fed up with trying. Worse still, not being able to find what you need after your engine is in pieces. People here can help with sourcing parts. Most of us have been through one issue or another. Or all of them LOL.

Have you had the compression tested and a leakdown test done? This will help determine if the rings are actually the problem. It could easily be valve seals. You may have a stuck or broken ring. Any good bike mechanic can perform those tests. Replacing all of the pistons and rings over smoking and oil consumption may be overkill and not solve your actual issue.

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18794

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Watching TV, there is Counts Kustoms in Las Vegas. It's not that far from California. I bet they know lots of people and could suggest something. On the East coast there is Randy's Cycle . It's far far away from California, but he restored a KZ1300 and should be able to tell you a few things as well. There is also Johnny's Vintage Motorcycle , but again far away. One thing is he seems to specialize in Kawasaki's. He posts videos on Youtube and they good really good job. Also, they make their own replacement parts.
Saying this, I've never contacted any of the above because someone else restoring by KZ1300 was never an option. But if you have funds to sponsor it, I'd give them at least a call. Oh, and there is another one which I watch sometimes on TV - Fantom Works. They do fantastic job on old cars. The owner comes across as very knowledgeable and passionate, I would imagine he would have some good suggestions. The guy even travels to other countries to pick up the right original parts!
That's all I can think of right now.
Would be great to see a few photos of your bike!
Stan

Good KZ 1300 Mechanic in California 6 years 1 month ago #18800

• KZLTD80
Thank you for your suggestions--and yes I have reached out to Randy's Cycle for their help. Have not rec'd a return message, but I just sent it yesterday. I also checked the link you provided and I was not aware of Johnny's Vintage Cycle--it looks to be a good resource and I appreciate you forwarding it to me. Regarding Counts and Phantom Works, they may be a good source to check for help, although I believe their core competency is in cars. Counts does his share of Harley's too-

I'll post a couple of photos when I have a chance. I have an '81 1300 too and 2 '80 LTD 1000's--big fan of these bikes.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds