Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Wanted, a proper Z13 bikini fairing 9 years 3 months ago #5727

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
A further update on the Maier faring.

On the bottom of the faring I trimmed off approx. 1.25" on the inside lip. This allowed me to mount the faring flat on the headlight bezel and it allowed me to retain the horn cover. This modification is not visible and does not weaken the structure of the shell.

The installation instructions have you drill holes through the faring body for the mounting bolts. Being that I do not want any visible bolts or mounting hardware on the outside of the shell, I'm going to epoxy the mounting brackets inside the faring body. Q-BOND or JB WELD (Clear) are the two likely candidates I'll be using to mount the hardware. I'll scuff up the inner areas of the faring body for the epoxy to adhere better where the mount brackets are going.

This design provides excellent clearance for the front blinkers, handlebar controls, and cables. The windscreen has plenty of clearance around the instrument pod too.

Maier provides no windscreen trim for the outer lip of the acrylic so I will go to a local supplier to find a thin rubber edging to trim out that item. I was thinking of also doing it around the headlight to prevent the headlight from casting too much light into the fairing. That would be a little annoying at night.

After the brackets are cold welded to the faring body, it will be ready for the paint shop to finish. If I get a chance, I'll post photos of the finished product.

Regards

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Toddh.

Wanted, a proper Z13 bikini fairing 9 years 3 months ago #5839

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
I am putting this up on craigslist in a few weeks if no one has a use for it here. A VERY expensive oops occurred out back this summer.
My son's buddy tried to move the ZRX out of his way from pulling it from behind,and lost control of the bike and it fell against one of the forklifts. The replacement fairing cost $360. and the decals were sold separately for an additional $80.....OUCH !
I repaired the bike with new parts and this cracked fairing will probably sit here for decades,as alot of other m/c parts that fill my cabinets.
You body work experts may be looking for this piece, with something in mind for it . P.M me if interested............tony :)

Wanted, a proper Z13 bikini fairing 9 years 3 months ago #5840

• Michel
  • Thank you received: 2
There is www.zed-parts.com that have a replica for 75 pounds.Take a look at there site
Michel

Wanted, a proper Z13 bikini fairing 9 years 3 months ago #5879

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
The one on zed-parts is not the Z13 one I remember, slight difference, the one there is the same as the two I have now, my quest continues :-)
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Wanted, a proper Z13 bikini fairing 9 years 2 months ago #5912

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Funny how things happen, mate of mine from work saw me Monday morning, told me he got a new tyre on the back of his bike from a bike shop in Brisbane, while there he noticed a Z1300 trike in pieces and mentioned to the owners that he knows a guy who has one and a spare bike he uses for parts, the owner asked him if he could get me to ring him and talk about a shaft they are looking for for the 13 they are working on. Ok so I rang him, seems they "lost" the water pump drive shaft, seems the nylon cogs stuffed up and they sent the whole thing away to get metal cogs made, the cogs came back but no shaft. I had a look around and saw that I had a second set of spare barrels with pistons rusted in and low and behold the shaft was still in place with a little surface rust on it. I rang the guy back and told him he could have it for free, come and get it, turns out the trike is for an old Vietnam Vet who has troubles riding a "normal" bike that's why he has the 13 made into a trike. Got talking with the guy at the bike shop and he was saying he has been looking everywhere for one of those shafts, I told him it's out of a "79, the trike is an '84 so i think the shaft would be the same, and he is organizing a courier to come and get the shaft. While chatting I told him about all the good little bits and pieces I find now and again for the 13 on the "net" and i've been after a bikini fairing like the one I had on another 13 back in the mid '80, that's funny he said, years ago him and his business partner had another business making fairings for bikes, they sold heaps for the 900's and the like here and overseas, so if I have a photo send it to him and he will tell me what the fairing is, so this below is his reply, needless to say i've asked for one of the GPZ1100B2 ones, so it's funny, a mate gets a bike tyre, I end up helping get another 13 back on the road, and finally find the bikini fairing i've been searching for, ain't life weird, cheers Pete.

Top one (red) is GPZ1100B2 (can supply from Sydney)
Second one is what we call rectangle headlight Z1R spoiler (can also supply ex my friend in Sydney)

P.S. have also asked for a price for both and if his mate would send overseas incase anyone here wants one
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Last edit: by kza13.

Wanted, a proper Z13 bikini fairing 9 years 2 months ago #5915

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Did anyone ever try the headlight plus bikini-fairing of a Honda MBX-80 on thje Zed ?

Once I saw one and aksed the owner as the size of the light as well as of the fairing was quite small, he gave me the hint of the MBX-80. Depends on your taste, but I did like it.

Here a pic of the orignal bike from Honda. Kepp in mind it's much smaller than the Zed.

cheers

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds