Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Electric fuel solenoid valve ? 10 years 1 week ago #2535

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Yes that valve sounds ideal for the application, looks very much like one I have already that looks close to an original, and it has the manual override, good idea, saves having to join two rubber pipes together on the side of the road if it fails, but .... I have this crazy plan to try and make my bike look stock, perhaps it's a pipe dream, but I would like to have an original valve mounted on the motor, under the carbs, just where it was when it came off the showroom floor, maybe working, maybe just for show with pipes on it, ever had something that you want "perfect" and it's just missing a few little pieces ?, never mind, it seems that some things you can't have.
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electric fuel solenoid valve ? 10 years 1 week ago #2536

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

kza13 wrote: Yes that valve sounds ideal for the application, looks very much like one I have already that looks close to an original, and it has the manual override, good idea, saves having to join two rubber pipes together on the side of the road if it fails, but .... I have this crazy plan to try and make my bike look stock, perhaps it's a pipe dream, but I would like to have an original valve mounted on the motor, under the carbs, just where it was when it came off the showroom floor, maybe working, maybe just for show with pipes on it, ever had something that you want "perfect" and it's just missing a few little pieces ?, never mind, it seems that some things you can't have.

kza:

I'm with you in wanting to keep the bike stock, the way it left the showroom floor. It is possible and this valve is not that complicated or difficult to service. The main hang up with this solenoid is corrosion. (Either in the motor or in the fuel valve itself) The valve often was forgotten about and they never received the periodic attention (LOVE) needed to keep them going. Locating the O-Rings is possible with some searching, or even a replacement used, and sometimes an overpriced new valve.

If one operates with this solenoid, it would be good to clean them each carb service or every couple of years.

I think as people comment, one should think of the following:
We have those to modify their bikes from Mild to Wild. Then we have some who want to keep their bikes factory stock.

Certainly combined with keeping a bike stock, there could be ways to go on the cheap and find a more cost effective means. As others have suggested in this and other posts, they are good suggestions.

But please keep an open mind with what the poster wants to do with their bike. Try to read between the lines and glean what they are attempting to accomplish. Stock, or modified.

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Electric fuel solenoid valve ? 10 years 1 week ago #2539

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Todd,

I agree with SOME of that statement, but what you obviously dont know is K Japan recommended removing the solenoid in the early years due to the problems it created on warranty claims for them & damage to their reliability status.

Its one thing to keep the bike the way you want it................but another when it breaks down & leaves you stranded at the side of a busy highway, when it COULD have been avoided.

Dont fit ANYTHING to ANY bike that has a bad reputation for ruining reliability !!!!!!!

We call it safety & common sense in the UK.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Electric fuel solenoid valve ? 10 years 1 week ago #2540

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

strate6 wrote: Todd,

I agree with SOME of that statement, but what you obviously dont know is K Japan recommended removing the solenoid in the early years due to the problems it created on warranty claims for them & damage to their reliability status.

Its one thing to keep the bike the way you want it................but another when it breaks down & leaves you stranded at the side of a busy highway, when it COULD have been avoided.

Dont fit ANYTHING to ANY bike that has a bad reputation for ruining reliability !!!!!!!

We call it safety & common sense in the UK.

PETE:

I don't think we got that service bulletin.

Regards.

Todd.

Pete F

KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Electric fuel solenoid valve ? 10 years 1 week ago #2541

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Todd,

We got it from KMUK via Japan just before the 81 model A3 arrived (with all the mods for what the A1 & A2 had suffered from) along with the Deep Sump Mod & melting Rectifier / Regulators.
As ever, they stated ONLY discard it if the owner complains of poor starting or intermittent running due to lack of fuel. That was no doubt to avoid a costly recall document.
We had been telling KMUK this was a problem for a long time, but as ever they dont want to admit fault & said it was only very few owners who had the problem...........despite every dealer discussing it at regional meetings & product launches & finding it was a very widespread issue.

Once removed, the bike never had the problems again, so it was a bad idea & bad design of part.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Electric fuel solenoid valve ? 10 years 1 week ago #2544

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Ok lets finish this thread off, silly me wanted to know if anyone had a part that would add to the looks of my stock bike (well except for the exhaust pipes), I thought I might use it, but then I could just bolt it on and use a modern one under the tank instead, I don't like vacuum diaphragm petcocks, what happens if you get a pin hole in the diaphragm, heck your stuck on the side of the highway and you can't bypass that sucker like you could with a solenoid valve :-), sorry again, i'm being a smart ar#e, so I've been told not to use one in no uncertain terms, ok, again sorry for asking or raising the subject, i'll bow to the knowledge of people who know, if there is anyway someone could possibly please delete this whole thread, thank you, cheers "from now on very quiet Pete"
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Last edit: by kza13.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds