Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 4 weeks ago #23639

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Great Mike, congratulations on getting another 2 bikes! It's a great price, although I haven't seen any photos.

Just wondering.. You would be stripping them with no intention of putting them on the road, right? I know people just discard frames after salvaging parts. I am looking for a frame. If you would have frames left, I'd be interested in rescuing one. Ideally, would be awesome if one still had title attached to it, but I guess a bill of sale would do - I'd be trying to get a title for it and putting parts I have on it with hopes to get have it eventually on the road. I know I am getting way ahead of things, but thought I'd mention it. Just keep me in mind please! :)
Cheers, Stan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 3 weeks ago #23656

• mlyle11
  • mlyle11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Stan - Let me see what I really end up with. My thoughts now are this is my left time stash of parts, and when I say these are rough... I mean really rough. It's very sad, they could have been easily better protected and not end up like this. Considering that, I imagine a frame is salvageable!
Mike
79 KZ1300A
80 KDX 175
2003 KDX 220
2001 Gas Gas 300
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 3 weeks ago #23657

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Thank you Mike. As they say - when the time comes! There might be some good parts under the dirt and rust. Perhaps not that you would ever need them, but they might be the missing link in other projects. Some little things even, like a grommet, a plastic plug, screws and bolts. I had a great success with some horrible looking parts, some rendered basically unusable. And now they are on my bike, shiny, keeping the machine complete and putting on miles! With access to vapor blasting all engine and mechanical parts can look like new again, and sand blasting also works wonders. I had no access to vapor or media blasting, but I traveled to sand blasting services available outside the city. If you have a garage, I'd definitely suggest having a sand blasting cabinet. I've heard it's actually cheap. Cheers!

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 2 weeks ago #23727

• mlyle11
  • mlyle11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1
So they are finally here! Pictures aren't the best. One Engine in pieces in a box, rust and corrosion galore, sat out all winter completely exposed. I will try and assess them over the next few weeks
Mike
79 KZ1300A
80 KDX 175
2003 KDX 220
2001 Gas Gas 300

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 2 weeks ago #23728

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
For the price you paid I think you are doing good. Doesn't seem like any very deep rust. Just imagine all cleaned up - not a bad deal and lots of good parts. I think you have nothing to regret :)

IF left with one harness, give me a shout. I have none! haha

Last edit: by StanG.
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds