TOPIC:

fuel tank sender 7 years 11 months ago #12348

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Guys
bit of a shot in the dark but i dont suppose anyone has an operational fuel tank sender i mean the float that goes in the tank,had two but both knackered,i am in the uk
many thanks
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

fuel tank sender 7 years 11 months ago #12349

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
2 not working strange are you sure it is the sender are you getting voltage to them ???
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

fuel tank sender 7 years 11 months ago #12350

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Mark
yes pretty sure, the original one stopped working ages ago so my friend used a different sender and the gauge worked unfortunately the other one i had has been sitting in an old fuel tank for ages and when checked with a multi meter is showing nothing[my friend needs his one] to be honest not that worried as its not worked for years but it would be nice
Paul

fuel tank sender 7 years 11 months ago #12353

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
To be honest, I haven't looked at the KZ1300 fuel tank sender but most senders are somewhat serviceable. There's a stainless steel wire which has a reasonably high resistance wrapped around usually a flat non metallic mandrel or a form for use of another word. Then there's a contact that is attached to a rod which is attached to a float. As the contact moves up and down the stainless wire, it varies the voltage going to the fuel tank level meter.
Usually, the pivot in the float arm will loosen up and then the contact is not riding on the variable resistance wire and you have an open circuit. The repair here is to tighten the pivot so the contact face remains in contact with the wire.
The second common failure more so when the level sender has sat for a very long time is corrosion builds up on the contact face or the outer diameter of the wire and then there's a high resistance between the contact and the wire and again, the level sender is not supplying enough voltage to the meter to register. Cleaning the stainless wire and the contact will cure this failure.
On rare occasions you might find a broken wire (the stainless wire) although one would want to say the sender is beyond repair, it's not. Replacing the wire with the same diameter stainless wire and using the same number of wraps around the core in the same location will cure this failure. Trust me, I've done a few including the one on my 1985 Porsche 928. The replacement cost for a new sender for it was over $400.00 Canadian. cost me $3.00 to fix the original.
For those that understand electrical, the tank sender unit is a simple variable potentiometer.

fuel tank sender 7 years 11 months ago #12354

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Yeh mine was "broken", turns out it was the wire, it broke off the connection, just soldered it back on and it works, simple thing really, cheers
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

fuel tank sender 7 years 11 months ago #12361

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Had this issue with many Z1300's.

The sender is not made by Kawasaki its a common part.

I found one from a Suzuki GSX600 model that is very similar. Seem to remeber having to adapt the 5 or 6 mounting holes on the round plate but the rest of the sender was very similar and worked perfectly.
The Suzuki one was dead cheap whilst (as you know) anything with Z1300 on it has a MASSIVE price hike !

Look at Ebay number 181531585690.................it should look familiar ?

Its then just finding one in the UK but the GSX600 is a common bike.

Hope that helps ?

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds