Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3607

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14

Lucien-Harpress wrote: Thanks for the info. I'm under no illusion I'm actually going to FIND one. However, I am considering trying to build a replica from scratch. I'm not sure what my (1980) KZ has already, as it hasn't shown up yet. However, the horn cover is a neat piece of trim, and it may be a cool side project to build one. I was just curious what the "correct" one for the year of my bike was.

The Fiche says in the part description that 14025-1200 is for the A2 and that 14025-1310 is for the A3 (explains it's rarity a bit). Looks like 14025-1200 would be the correct one for your bike's year.

If you go the route of re-manufacturing one it would be easiest if you had one as a reference. You could make a mould from it so you could cast your own or get exact dimensions and get a 3d printer to do the job for you...

If I had an easy way to make a mould at home I'd be willing be willing to help :).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3608

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Yeh I have 2 x 1979 models, both just have the little cover, rough photo below, sorry didn't take off bikini fairing

after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
Attachments:

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3609

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
It would be ideal if I could get one as a reference, but as simple a shape as it is, a few decent (head-on) photos and measurements would be enough. I used to build model airplanes, and had to make thing with fewer references than that.

Would it be an exact replica? Probably not. But it'd be fun to see how close I can get. Molding copies would be awesome, but not overly easy. I can see getting all those individual fins to come out would be.... problematic.

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3610

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
if you need exact measurements I'm sure we would be happy to help. I'm always looking for more reasons to take out my digital caliper :).

Measurements would be easy to take since the whole design is pretty boxy in itself except for a few curves. Lots of right angles and straight lines. With enough patience and time investment I wouldn't be surprised if someone was able to whittle one out of wood lol!

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3611

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
The way I figure, the hardest part is going to be the Kawasaki Emblem. The backside I'm not overly concerned about (since you aren't going to see it), but I have to get my bike here before I see about how it mounts, what space I have to work with, etc.

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3619

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Few more photos, whole thing is 95mm wide, it's 62mm high, the little "box" the Kawasaki name is in is 5cm long and 7mm wide, the height of the unit from a flat surface to the top is 26 to 27mm, hope that helps. The camera seemed to make it look oval, it is square.

after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds