Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3600

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
There's something I've wondered about the early KZ1300s. The rectangular horn covers I'm seeing- what years were those stock? Was that a later addition (post... I don't know, 81? 82?), or did they have them right from 1979 on? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3601

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Hello L-H:

Unless someone has further information here is my recollection on A-1 thru A-5 horn covers.

when you look at the A-1 thru A-5 micro fiche, it is wrong in depicting the same horn cover for all years. ( At least that is what I recall)

A-1'S and I think A-2's had no horn cover, just a plastic bezel in between the horns, that also served as an electrical harness stay, to clamp the harness to the lower triple clamp.

A-3 Thru A-5 had the horn cover as depicted in the link below. (The link below may be broken)

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh.

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3602

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Mine is an A1 and never had a horn cover right from new.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3604

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
As Todd states, the FULL twin horn cover came in on the 1300A3 (first model built in the USA).
You need the horn mounting bracket as well to fit the cover to the A1 & A2.

This also coincided with the Balanced Air Forks that came in on the A3 (as A1 & A2 had separate valves on each leg).

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3605

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
My A2 currently has a horn cover which is the 14025-1200 type.

Also, the fiche for the 1980 "A2" shows two types of horn covers available. See: www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...EQUIPMENT/parts.html

Those parts numbers show as 14025-1200 and 14025-1310. You'll have one heck of a time finding either anywhere as they're pretty rare (especially 14025-1310) and the plastic degrades with age and sun exposure. That is unless you manage to procure a parts bike with one on it already lol.

I hit this dead end when I was looking to replace my horn cover with a better looking one. Primarily because the one I had was painted yellow :(. When I hit a dead end I resorted to rebuilding the one I had... Took me weeks to slowly and carefully sand and chip away that thick yellow paint and reapply the silver lettering and borders!

Horn Cover- Years? 9 years 10 months ago #3606

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Thanks for the info. I'm under no illusion I'm actually going to FIND one. However, I am considering trying to build a replica from scratch. I'm not sure what my (1980) KZ has already, as it hasn't shown up yet. However, the horn cover is a neat piece of trim, and it may be a cool side project to build one. I was just curious what the "correct" one for the year of my bike was.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds