TOPIC:

Original paint color? 10 years 1 month ago #1559

• Mikez
  • Mikez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi all!

I might have mentioned this before or not, but the yellow paint scheme shown in my profile picture wasn't to my liking and when I first got the bike I had begun the process of getting rid of it.

I finally have all of the surfaces on my bike stripped, sanded down, prepped and primed for a fresh coat of paint. I thought I would have a solution for a new color by now but I'm still coming up short on color.

The sources listed in the FAQ regarding the color codes or where to find matching colors for my bike seem to be outdated or hard to find/no longer available. Does anyone have suggestions or links they can offer up on where I can source paint that will match my bike's original colors?

The FAQ mentions Dupont color is BM231KH or Walmart VP-57 medium green pearl metallic in a spray can. I'm not able to source any of these online for some reason.

I'd prefer to use rattle-cans so I can do the paint myself. I don't possess the equipment to use a spray gun. If that's not an option I know someone with the equipment but still lack the proper color for the job so I might need some help with locating it :). Thanks everyone!

Bike is a 1980 A2 BTW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mikez.

Original paint color? 10 years 1 month ago #1561

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Hello Mike:

Not sure if House of Kolor has our older bikes in their database but these guys specialize in color matching. I saw their work on a body panel on a newer BMW K bike a few days ago and I was not able to tell that the panel was painted, outside of the factory. They also specialize in bikes.

www.cyclecolor.com/id49.htm

For our older bikes, I don't think the Big 4 manufacturers ever listed a color code. They held that information close to the vest and back in the day, there was no uniform way to consistently whip up color batches. It was an art form and was hard to find a good paint tech to expertly duplicate a color.

Regards.

Todd.

On newer cars and bikes, you'll see a paint codes like on my K1200GT.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Original paint color? 10 years 1 month ago #1571

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Mike

You can get exact paint from here www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php
I have used both spray cans and stuff for the gun and it's all good. They also do a 2K clearcoat which doesn't contain isocyontate so you don't need all the breathing equipment.

cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikez

Original paint color? 10 years 1 month ago #1572

• Mikez
  • Mikez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Oh wow! That was exactly what I was looking for!!! They have both the starlight blue and red colors and are available in aerosol!!!

Thank you so much this is awesome!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds