Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

In frame engine painting 6 years 3 months ago #18163

• whistlers mother
  • whistlers mother's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi guys.Progressing with my 79 renovation and thinking of using high temp aerosol to make the block and cam covers look nice.Dont want to remove the engine.Is it possible and practical to do this.My main question really is how to spray without removing all the chrome bolts/How can I mask them?Mark, Essex biker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In frame engine painting 6 years 3 months ago #18165

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Hi Mark.
I have no experience with this but I've been researching. I don't have a link on hand, but I've seen photos of people doing it on Google.
Basically, they removed the exhaust pipes and the carburetor. Masked all the covers. Some masked bolts as well, if you don't want them painted, but lots of people paint the bolts as well. Except any chrome plated. Then, the rest of the bike got tightly masked with blankets or plastic sheets. They also masked carefully all the frame around the engine. The results looked like a perfect job. One guy stated that since you can't bead blast the engine, it took him a week to strip the old paint from the engine with a Dremel tool.
Stan

In frame engine painting 6 years 3 months ago #18166

• whistlers mother
Thanks Stan . Most of the engine is pretty good but I appreciate I need to do as much as possible so it all matches . I’ve biught a roll of cling film to wrap around frame and various bits . I hate taking those carbs off lol getting the air box back on is a pain . All the engine bolts are chrome . I’ve thought about spraying it all and then take one bolt out at a time to polish back up but I’m sure I’ll end up with an oil leak and gasket change . Too cold to paint as well now as at least 20c required according to the aerosol

In frame engine painting 6 years 3 months ago #18167

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
It's 2 C here! Makes me worried when I can paint mine, unless making a makeshift booth at my place...
I suppose you could take the carbs off as well? As to the bolts, I replaced the stock bolts with stainless on my Vmax. One by one. There was absolutely no problem, no leaks. Personally, I wouldn't worry at all removing one bolt at a time for cleaning. Please post some photos later of the process if you can.

In frame engine painting 6 years 3 months ago #18168

• whistlers mother
This is quite some coincidence as I had a V Max upto 5 years ago when I bought my Triumph Rocket ! Getting the carbs on and off is no problem as yes I have used cap head screws . It’s that blasted air box that fits on the back of the carbs ! Getting all 3 oval holes lined up is tricky . Some great tips on this site though , some of the knowledge and dedication of the guys is awesome . I am am really enjoying the challenge of making a real good job of the renovation during the boring winter months when I can’t play golf lol

In frame engine painting 6 years 3 months ago #18169

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
With all due respect:
I can certainly understand the desire to attempt to paint the engine - in the frame. My answer to this question comes from being reasonably comfortable with working on most any part of the bike, so I am biased here perhaps. My question would be, "What are you looking for as and end result?" I ask because I can not imagine myself taping and masking everything that will need to be, in order to "attempt' to paint an engine, in-frame. Given the amount of time required to mask I would find the whole process easier and a heck of a lot less overall work, to remove the engine. Then you can clean and prep. everything properly from top to bottom and at least have half a chance the paint will stick and have even coverage. I don't see any way of getting the engine clean of oil, oil residue and normal road grime - especially the bottom end - with the engine in-frame. Won't dispute it's been done, but I would question the true quality of the finish and how long those "tough" areas would hold paint. It's a lot of work either way but I'd choose the method that would give the best results with the longest life. And regardless of your painting method - "Rattle-can" most likely - trying to spray an even coat of paint under the trying conditions of being in-frame, will most certainly create a LOT of areas with thin coverage and lots of "runs" trying to cover those areas. It's a question of your expectations. Will it look like it was done right and how long will it last?
Sometimes it's better to leave things as is, do a few touch-ups and just wash and wax the shit out of it. Personally speaking I can appreciate to a far greater extent something that has mileage, wear-n-tear, scratches and chips but is otherwise clean and cared for, over something that has an obvious appearance of being done in a less then complete manner.
I'm obviously strongly opinionated on this topic and it comes from having just removed, cleaned and painted my Oil-pan. It was enough work as it was, having it on the bench! I can not imagine trying to achieve a good paint job "in -frame". And that's speaking of only the pan!
If removing the engine is not an option then consider just touching-up the visible areas of concern. I did some smaller touch-ups on the front of my engine by thoroughly cleaning the areas and painting them by hand with some silver "Rust-oleum" and a fine artists paint brush. The color match is satisfactory and with some care with the brush strokes, the touch-ups are all but invisible.
Half way through an in-frame painting attempt is not the time to regret this decision if your goal is to achieve <...a real good job....>!
So again - I respect the idea and the question but would suggest you really think twice about your options. And good luck either way !
Hopes this helps you make the right decision for your intention and goal.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds