Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Body decals dilemma 6 years 7 months ago #17371

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I just want to get back to the original thread's subject - the decals.

A full set of freshly printed decals of any kind are available on Z1300 Online

I rest my case. I am going to blast those pristine stickers next week in order to paint and chrome over them. Case closed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Body decals dilemma 6 years 6 months ago #17437

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Nice resource for decals. Thanks.

Here in NS we don't have collector plates but we do have antique plates. Here are the rules and they aren't all that stringent. My KZ is plated antique. Its about half the cost of regular registration for bikes.

A vehicle is considered an antique for the purpose of obtaining an antique licence plate if:

the vehicle is 30 or more model years old; and
is a passenger motor vehicle, light commercial motor vehicle that has a registered weight of 5000 kgs or less, or motorcycle.

The owner of an antique vehicle who wishes to obtain antique licence plates must meet the following eligibility criteria:

the owner must be a resident of Nova Scotia;
the owner must have another registered motor vehicle in his/her name;
the owner must provide proof of insurance, and must maintain valid insurance at all times;
the vehicle cannot be used for business or usual family purposes;
the owner is a member of an antique club, and the secretary of the club has signed the application form indicating that the vehicle has been tested for originality, running order and safety.

Note: If the owner is not a member of an antique auto club, a Certificate of Mechanical Fitness form must be completed by a certified mechanic in lieu of an antique auto club membership
The following user(s) said Thank You: DannyKZ, Kawboy

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.

Body decals dilemma 6 years 6 months ago #17438

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
This is closer to what I think would make more sense. I think BC, and namely locally Vancouver, is more difficult and restricting than most places. There is one big making no sense at all rule that requires multiple full insurance policies for one owner of multiple motorcycles. I am being asked if I will be the only driver on my bike, yet I have to pay like if I would be driving two or three bikes at the same time,. I am charged for a full price insurance for all. Be it 10 bikes. There is something called collectors license for more than three I think collector plates qualifying bikes, but I was told it actually doesn't save any money and more than anything introduce more bureaucratic headache than anything. It's all about taking more dough from the biker, governed by assigning virtual absurd values slaved to nomenclature. I bet it would make more sense by letting people put more bikes on the road instead of restricting the use. A bike over 30 years old, an obvious antique (yes, that 'collector' name status is silly and again, restricting), and I don't understand why someone should be told how often they can use it. Emission control? haha I wouldn't buy it at that face value, there is nothing mentioned about it. I bet one big commercial truck pollutes air more than 10 old bikes all put together. And again, you can ride only one bike at a time when you say you are the only one allowed!

Anyway, my KZ will have a regular bike status in summer, then collectors in winter just so I can park it on a public road. Insanity, lol

Last edit: by StanG.

Body decals dilemma 6 years 6 months ago #17439

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

StanG wrote: .... There is something called collectors license for more than three I think collector plates qualifying bikes, but I was told it actually doesn't save any money and more than anything

It's called a 'Multi Vehicle Collector Plate' and it doesn't really make sense with less than three, already plated, collector vehicles. Even with three collector plated vehicles, the catch is, you need to buy the ICBC MVCP insurance for a year at a time while you can buy insurance for any period from 3 to 12 months for individual collector plates . A few years ago, I applied for an was granted a MVCP based on three collector vehicles but since I don't insure any of those three vehicles for more than 6 months in any given year (and typically less than that), it was still cheaper to go with individual collector plates than one year's worth of MVCP . If I was insuring the three bikes year round, the MVCP would be a good deal.

One bonus of a MVCP is if you have buddies show up and want to take one of your bikes for a ride - you can tell them: sorry, it's not plated! :cheer:
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Body decals dilemma 6 years 6 months ago #17440

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Even with antique plates here there doesn't seem to be a break on insurance. There are the standard multi-vehicle discounts but the antique plate isn't a factor. My bike insurance on the old KZ is really cheap anyways. $190 for the year for everything except collision which is not needed if the vehicle is not financed. I only need fire and theft. A collision claim usually raises your rates dramatically anyways so I don't bother.

Body decals dilemma 6 years 6 months ago #17442

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Ledkz1300 wrote: Even with antique plates here there doesn't seem to be a break on insurance. There are the standard multi-vehicle discounts but the antique plate isn't a factor. My bike insurance on the old KZ is really cheap anyways. $190 for the year for everything except collision which is not needed if the vehicle is not financed. I only need fire and theft. A collision claim usually raises your rates dramatically anyways so I don't bother.

The major determining factor in motorcycle insurance rates in BC is engine size with the highest category being motors over 900 cc. So a KZ1300 without a collector plate would be about (I'm guessing a bit here) $100 per month for basic coverage (no fire, theft, or collision). The same bike with a collector plate would be about $20 per month (for similar coverage ) so a collector plate is worthwhile if the vehicle qualifies. I'm not sure how much the optional coverage (fire, theft, or collision) break is for a collector plated vehicle but I don't think it's significant.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds