Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13919

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
MZ, I currently have the tank off my 1979 A1, as my bike is yet again playing up and off the road (just in time for summer :angry: )
I cant enlarge your pics to check the underside for any obstruction, but it looks normal - Ive added a few pics to you can compare your unit against.

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tonto.

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13920

• Mightyzod
  • Mightyzod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
What a beautiful tank, and the underside is indeed identical to my tank. Something along the frame is blocking proper installation. I will take another swing at it tonight and share later.

My thanks to you and the forum for the help.

MZ

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13922

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
That's a KZ1300-B2 tank from the B2 Touring model. It will fit to any of the K/Z1300 carb models, the ZG (I think) injection models but there is no fuel pressure return. It wont fit the ZN1300 Voyager models

There should be a "U" shaped bracket on ether side of the inner panel with the open ends of the "U" facing forward. These slide onto the rubber mounts either side of the frame (there should be rubber caps about 30mm diameter on steel lugs about 15mm diameter either side of the frame) and then an allen head bolt with a big washer fastens just under the rear of the tank in front of the seat. I think there is normally some kind of grommet and metal guide in the back of the tank mounting point to act as a damper.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13957

• Mightyzod
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am going to put the tank on today, or sleep in the shop tonight. I am a school teacher, and it is back to work next week, so I have been spending most of my time preparing for the big event.

Every time I mount the tank with the rubber mounts properly lined up with the cups, the rear of the tank is almost two inches higher than the the bolt hole for rear installation. Something is blocking me, and I will find it. Then, I will take it off and do it again, just to prove that the first time wasn't an accident.

MZ

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13959

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
My tank wouldn't sit down at the back last week due to the rubber pipe from the radiator coming out of place and jamming it up.
:) Z13 UK

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13964

• Mightyzod
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That hose was one of the first things we checked, but it is not the culprit. My Geometry teaching wife and I have tried repeatedly today to get the thing on, and it just won't fit. She took several pictures and asked that I post them and get suggestions from you guys. With the two rubber pucks near the 'U" cups under the tank, it seems the tank is too wide, sitting too close to the neck, and the last picture has a light shining where the bottom of the tank is rubbing the frame.

This is the tank that came with the bike. Many members have verified that this tank will fit. We are not super mechanics, but come on, taking off and putting on a gas tank? We have owned over one hundred motorcycles, and do all of our maintenance at home.

MZ and SC

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds