Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13885

• Mightyzod
  • Mightyzod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys. I'm getting close(er) to putting my 1980 B model together as an A model. It has been a bit of a pain because every time I take something off, I spend a bit of money and time trying to get the right part to put back on. I finally have all of the touring boards, guards, shifting and brake levers off. I have my new seat and used tail piece here, and the impossible to find taillight assembly will be here soon.

My problem is the fuel tank. The seller had the tank off when I bought it, which shouldn't be a problem, right? Well, I'll be hanged if I can get it back on there. I finally involve my wife, the math teacher (and pretty good mechanic) into things and she feels the underside of the tank does not align with the frame. Ah, Geometry.

Do I need an A model tank? Also, do I need a different (A instead of B) rear fender?

Man, I ask a lot of what must be considered stupid questions. My thanks for your patience and help.

MightyZod

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13886

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
if he had the tank off, is it the right tank ?? is it a voyager tank ??
stick a few pics up..
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Last edit: by kwak1261.

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13887

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
All of the KZ1300/Z1300 fuel tanks are a direct interchange. They just slide in place regardless of year or tank size. You do have to align the channels on the bottom of the tank with the 2 rubber mounting bumpers on the frame. Maybe it is not a KZ1300/Z1300 fuel tank, as indicated by kwak1261 in his post above.

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13889

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95

Mightyzod wrote: Hey guys. I'm getting close(er) to putting my 1980 B model together as an A model. It has been a bit of a pain because every time I take something off, I spend a bit of money and time trying to get the right part to put back on. I finally have all of the touring boards, guards, shifting and brake levers off. I have my new seat and used tail piece here, and the impossible to find taillight assembly will be here soon.

My problem is the fuel tank. The seller had the tank off when I bought it, which shouldn't be a problem, right? Well, I'll be hanged if I can get it back on there. I finally involve my wife, the math teacher (and pretty good mechanic) into things and she feels the underside of the tank does not align with the frame. Ah, Geometry.

Do I need an A model tank? Also, do I need a different (A instead of B) rear fender?

Man, I ask a lot of what must be considered stupid questions. My thanks for your patience and help.

MightyZod

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask

When I started my apprenticeship as a fitter the tradesman I was assigned to was a New Zealand Maori and a man mountain if ever there was. The first thing he said to me was "Right kid lets get this straight from the start. You can ask all the stupid questions you like, I don't mind but you make one stupid mistake and I'll kick your arse till your nose bleeds." he was true to his word and would paitently explain things and was an excelent teacher and I did make some mistakes but they must not have been stupid mistakes as he saw them.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13895

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Make you right Rick
sometimes we just dont see the obvious because we assume its right until it isnt.
someone asking the stupid question makes you look at the obvious.

wood for the trees .
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Fuel tank blues 7 years 8 months ago #13901

• Mightyzod
  • Mightyzod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have three pictures that I will attempt to post. Thanks to all for the quick response.

MZ

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds