• Page:

TOPIC:

Kind of a setback 9 years 3 months ago #5582

• kennyb
  • kennyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 8
I have been having problems with my starter clutch sine I got the bike running a few months ago. I ordered the parts and motion pro tool etc. It was intermittent and decided to hold off and ride the bike rather than wrench on it. Well yesterday the clutch started to fail and today eventually wouldn't catch. So I rolled it back in and started to take the engine cover off on the starter side. I found metal shavings a lot of them I dropped the oil pan and found a crap load in there to.I decided to take all the covers off to do a inspection to see what cold cause this much debris. I peaked underneath and on top and it looks fairly clean. No metal particles detected.It seems to be isolated to the bottom end. I decided to take the bolt out that holds the magneto. When I removed it the whole magneto assy fell off. No special tool needed.2 out of the 3 hex bolts were sheared but still not enough to make that much metal debris. Looked again and still couldn't locate the source of all that metal. Were could of it all come from? I did hear some clunking the day before. I figured it was due to the my air box mod and I was just hearing more of the engine noise.I'm worried as well if the contamination could of caused other damage. I guess I will have to flush the motor out with diesel and do a couple of oil changes. Any help or guesses to what happened would be appreciated,thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kind of a setback 9 years 3 months ago #5584

• kennyb
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Just a follow up I found the source of the metal shavings.Has this happen to any other members?
Attachments:

Last edit: by kennyb.

Kind of a setback 9 years 3 months ago #5585

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
If that was the correct rotor, and all parts were used to mount it, I might suspect that the side-thrust surfaces of one of the main bearings has broken off. Can you move the crank side-to-side? You might have to use a rubber mallet to get it to move, and hit it from both ends.

This happened to a Triumph Spitfire I had many moons ago. All of a sudden my clutch pedal dropped 1/2" to disengage, and the side thrust surface of the middle main bearing had cracked off.

Kind of a setback 9 years 3 months ago #5587

• kennyb
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
I tapped the crank with my plastic mallet and it didn't move.Sooo I guess some good news.I will be mounting my Voyager stator any way. I finally located a 10mm X 40mm LH bolt.But it's not a hex head but a stainless steel Allen bolt. The only one I could find with those dimensions and thread pattern.To be continued....

Last edit: by kennyb.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds