TOPIC:

Water pump 9 years 9 months ago #3811

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
Sorry to be a pain guys, I have previously posted ( a few days again now ) in relation to getting my impeller off the water pump shaft. I am still unable to get it removed. I have soaked the shaft / impeller with penetrating oil with no success. I understand that there is a " o " ring situated there which is probably stopping the penetrating oil from doing it's job. I have ordered a new impeller from 1300.de, just in case, so am not to concerned if a blade should break, however I do not want to damage the gears inside. I am tempted to get a small cooking blow torch to apply some heat to the impeller in an attempt to free it from the shaft.
Another thought I had was to run some small drill holes in the impeller carefully down the side of the shaft to relieve the tension.
Again if anyone has any ideas as to how I can remove the impeller please advise.
Thanks again in advance.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Water pump 9 years 9 months ago #3812

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I had exactly the same problem when trying to remove the impeller myself. I used two pairs of long-nose pliers on the vanes either side of the shaft & just kept pulling on alternate sides & wiggling. Keep at it, I remember it taking quite a bit of time to persuade off, so persevere :) It came off eventually & chewed up the original impeller. On inspection the internal bore of the impeller where it fits onto the shaft was badly corroded & I ended up re-fitting a good 2nd-hand impeller, so your purchase of a replacement impeller is a good idea.
Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: Torque59

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Phil.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds