Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coolant leaking around the head 9 years 11 months ago #3370

• Redphotog
  • Redphotog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I need some help, what did I do wrong?

Coming to the end of top end rebuild and when I put coolant in the bike it starts seeping out between the head and the cylinders. No heat, no pressure, didn't even get it fired up.

There is a head gasket on there. There are washers under all the nuts. The head was properly torqued and I followed the torquing sequence.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.
1985 Voyager.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coolant leaking around the head 9 years 11 months ago #3371

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I have seen some of that type of nut bottom out with the stud going too far into the nut.
We used to get that with the race bikes after machining the head and barrels for extra compression. I wouldn't expect to get that on a standard engine. Check that all the studs are down as far as possible into the crankcase. Maybe try a second washer under each nut also a possibility is catching on a locating dowel and holding the head up but unlikely.
These are suggestions based on the Z1000 & 900 engines although I have owned mine for 37 years I have never had the head off so I am not real familiar with the "usual" problems that occur.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redphotog

Coolant leaking around the head 9 years 11 months ago #3372

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Say John:

Did you have the head decked when it was off?

Were you able to take a straight edge to the surface?

Did you use a factory head gasket or aftermarket?

While it was off, did you see any corrosion on the gasket mating surface area around the combustion chambers?

I would recommend you take the head to a trusted machine shop and have them check it with their straight edge first, before you consider decking it.

If this was my bike, I would probably have it decked to make this surface last as long as possible.

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Coolant leaking around the head 9 years 11 months ago #3373

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
sometimes the gasket under the top hose connection housing might leak a bit and it will leak along the head line, is the leak at the middle of the motor or at a side ?
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Coolant leaking around the head 9 years 11 months ago #3374

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I am assuming the water is NOT leaking from the water pump leak hole? Its at the front face in the middle of the block at the bottom (under the water pump) ?

Ensure the 2 collets/guides at either end of the block are correctly seated in the crank cases & the block itself.
Also always GREASE the washers & bottom edge of the head nuts to allow them to rotate when tightening. I recommend you ALWAYS use a Genuine K Head Gasket (from past experiences). You maybe lucky with a pattern one but they often blow soon after.

Other than that, as others have stated, it maybe a warped head or the nuts bottoming out.
You are safe to use maximum 2 extra washers (at 1mm each) ontop of the original ones under each head nut.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Coolant leaking around the head 9 years 11 months ago #3375

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I had this problem with a pattern gasket. The gasket had no sealant around the water jacket areas. The coolant was pouring out from in front of 1, 2, & 3 cylinders almost as fast as I could pour it in.

I'm not sure if the head wasn't quite seated properly but a genuine head gasket put it right.

Another problem I have heard of is that if you have had the head studs out you can get hydraulic lock if there is any oil at the bottom of the stud hole in the casing causing the stud to not bed all the way to the bottom and leaving it too long to torque correctly.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds