• Page:

TOPIC:

Generator cover cracked 2 years 1 week ago #30197

• Ted
  • Ted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
As stated, my generator cover has a hairline crack near the bottom.  I have tried JB weld which only seals it until I take the bike down the highway and the leak resumes.

The first question is if anyone has long with another product to seal a crack.  If not, can it be soldered or otherwise repaired?  If so, how the heck do you disconnect the wires to completely remove the cover in order to do this?  ARGH!

I rescued this bike a year ago and thought I worked the bugs out.
1981 KZ1300, '98 Suzuki GSF1200S, '80 Honda CT110, '11 Honda CBR250, '75 Honda CL360, '00 Honda XR100R
Speak softly and mount a fast bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Generator cover cracked 2 years 1 week ago #30198

• Ted
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Oh, I have a service manual, so if the removal is addressed, please advise where.
1981 KZ1300, '98 Suzuki GSF1200S, '80 Honda CT110, '11 Honda CBR250, '75 Honda CL360, '00 Honda XR100R

Generator cover cracked 2 years 1 week ago #30199

• Ted
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I spoke too soon; the oil I found previously during a ride seems to be residual and the JB Weld is holding.  Even so, I would like to know if others had luck with JB Weld on such a crack, if I can expect it to spring a leak, and if there's an alternative.

Generator cover cracked 2 years 1 week ago #30200

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
My generator cover cracked as well but I managed to get it welded - just needed a bit of dressing on the gasket face (see pic).  However, I've used JB weld in the past - the high temperature version to glue on some cooling fins on the barrel of one of my other motorcycles after I snapped it off when I removed the block from the crankcase.  It has proved extremely durable and after filing down, dressing and painting, not even visible.  As long as you completely degreased before using it, I would think its probably as good as a metal weld for this type of repair.

Attachments:

Generator cover cracked 2 years 1 week ago #30201

• Ted
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Should it break loose, I will look out for the high temperature version.  As far as  removing the internal components in order to weld, do you just remove the 5 screws (2 for the wire and 3 for the... coils) in order to separate the 'guts' from the plate?  I've removed the plate before (to look for the source of the oil leak), but always left the wires attached.

Generator cover cracked 2 years 1 week ago #30202

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Yes, just the 5 allen bolts - the plate keeps the wires away from the rotor attached to the crankshaft.  After removing the bolts, pull the rubber grommet out from its channel to release the whole assembly.  Important to use some liquid gasket around all of the sealing faces of the grommet when reassembling or it will leak oil.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds