• Page:

TOPIC:

2 "cautions" 2 years 4 months ago #29939

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Their are 2- 10mm bolts inside the head - under the intake cam - That require torqueing.  Easy to access from above - thru the frame.  However!   As I removed the 1/4" socket (on a long extension) it got caught on something? and  -  There it was - GONE.  It's a gut wrenching sound - to hear that socket make it's way into the bowels of your newly assembled top-end !
 Not knowing where it went I decided to slowly turn the engine over (by the alt. bolt).  Things stopped after a few degrees of rotation.  After an extensive repertoire of the most colorful language I could muster,  I set about the intended retrieval.  Bore scope?  Couldn't find that socket.  Ever try to fish a magnet into a ferrous cavity !
Undaunted, I attached a tiny but strong magnet to the end of a piece of stove-pipe wire and started it's journey into the abyss. After several attempts I managed to get that magnet down along the cam-chain until it stopped.  First removal - the magnet was still alone.  Second plunge 'til it stopped and a careful extraction and I was almost in tears of joy when the socket came into view.  The socket had come off and rolled down the chain; becoming trapped between the Cam-chain and it's secondary shaft sprocket.  The socket does secure itself to the extension - until I cock it a bit.  Then the locking ball becomes far less affective and............   Note to self.: Tape the socket to the extension OR:  Buy extensions with an actual Collet-lock !

On to "dowel-pins."  No trauma here but another caution along the same theme.  I've had the cam-caps off numerous times over the years and this rebuild has raised another similar concern. 
One of the dowel-pins wants to stay in the cyl.-head.  It is removed easily and I found that most of them in the cam-caps, also come out easily !   I prefer not to Loctite them.   No need to elaborate - just be aware !
If you have a dowel-pin that is difficult to remove I found that a 1/4-28 (or similar) TAP, will turn in a few threads and pull these pins.  Pliers will deform and gouge if too much pressure is applied.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 "cautions" 2 years 4 months ago #29942

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Thanks Scotch!
I've had problems with dowel pins in the past and your suggestion for using a tap sounds like a great idea - I hadn't thought of that

2 "cautions" 2 years 4 months ago #29945

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Just add some clarity to the removing of dowel-pins.  The intent is to fit an appropriate size tap that "Just" starts to thread in.  Used a Red marker to show the how little it takes.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dcarver220b, Kawboy

2 "cautions" 2 years 4 months ago #29946

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Good job on 'going fishing!' I bet you shat about 3 bricks...

2 "cautions" 2 years 4 months ago #29948

• Jafsteph
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi scotch that dowel trick is a good one

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds