TOPIC:

Crank position for cam chain tensioner change 3 years 4 months ago #28283

• Stiggy
  • Stiggy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
I have bought a gpz1100 cam chain tensioner that I intend to fit over winter. Is there a preferred crankshaft position that will reduce the risk of the camshafts /valve springs shifting the slack side of the cam chain when the old one is removed ??
I have fitted a reduced rate spring to the gpz tensioner in an attempt to make the chain tension similar to the z13 stock tensioner.
1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crank position for cam chain tensioner change 3 years 4 months ago #28284

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Hi

No need to position anything on your engine to do this tensioner swap.

Just carefully remove the original tensioner and fit the GPZ / ZRX Tensioner body with the ratchet pin fully retarded (and gasket) into the hole and tighten the 2 x M6 Bolts, then insert the Spring and Pin inside the body. Next screw the retaining hollow bolt with the 12mm Spanner Head into the end of the tensioner body. Its worth counting the tensioner "clicks" as the spring pushes it against the tensioner arm inside the body, just to see how far it goes, as anymore than 8 or so clicks, it maybe worth thinking about a new cam chain !

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stiggy

Last edit: by strate6.

Crank position for cam chain tensioner change 3 years 4 months ago #28291

• Stiggy
  • Stiggy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
Thanks Pete.
I will definitely be counting the clicks, its a brilliant heath check for the chain and associated idlers etc.
Reason for my post was prompted by a post i have read on this forum about someone that couldn't get tensioner back in... the chain slack had shifted causing the chain tensioning slipper to be tight against the cct hole. Similar happened to me with my z1000 back in the 1970s.
1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

Crank position for cam chain tensioner change 3 years 4 months ago #28295

• Aleksey
  • Thank you received: 13
смещение может произойти, если цепь грм растянута. мне приходилось снимать клапанную крышку и прижимать цепь между шестерен, что бы не произошло смещения. Я считаю, что любые действия с газораспределительным механизмом должны происходить в верхней мертвой точке первого цилиндра. метка "Т"

Translated by Google, Kawboy- displacement can occur if the timing chain is stretched. I had to remove the valve cover and press the chain between the gears to prevent displacement. I believe that any action with the gas distribution mechanism should take place at the top dead center of the first cylinder. mark "T"

Last edit: by Kawboy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds