Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"The small boxes just after the collectors" - What's the Proper Name? 3 years 4 months ago #28251

• rdurost
  • rdurost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
What are they called, and has anybody ever cut one open to see what's inside?

Thanks!

Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"The small boxes just after the collectors" - What's the Proper Name? 3 years 4 months ago #28252

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Maybe Lare could chime in here. I recall he mentioned these parts when he showed us the superb stainless exhaust systems which his friend Ari manufactured. His systems used his own design of collectors.

"The small boxes just after the collectors" - What's the Proper Name? 3 years 4 months ago #28253

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
"Resonators"
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

"The small boxes just after the collectors" - What's the Proper Name? 3 years 4 months ago #28255

• rdurost
  • rdurost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
That could certainly be what Kawasaki called them, but the only use of the term I'm familiar with is the straight-through, fiberglass-packed "Cherry Bomb" style mufflers used near the end of the tailpipes on American cars in addition to chambered main mufflers. I think they may have been there to stop the "drone" (exhaust system resonance).

"The small boxes just after the collectors" - What's the Proper Name? 3 years 4 months ago #28266

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
I do not know what they should be called. Kawasaki spare part book calls them "muffler complete". This refers to the nr 1 or nr 6 downpipe with the integrated middle muffler.
Aris solution was to make the downpipes into units with 3-1 collectors. These are connected together with a balancing pipe which also works as a muffler. The balancing pipe then connects to the original mufflers.
Aris son in law, also stainless pro, is re-starting production under Aris guidance so the stainless versions will be available in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, rdurost

"The small boxes just after the collectors" - What's the Proper Name? 3 years 4 months ago #28267

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Power chambers or expansion chambers? In the dim & distant past I seem to recall someone cutting them open & reporting them being empty, save for the outlet pipe which entered the box & did a 90 degree bend with an open end inside the box.
Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdurost

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds