Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Engine Noise 10 years 3 weeks ago #2860

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14

Toddh wrote: Being that we are talking about engine noise and clutches:

When replacing a clutch, most just install rotors and stators, with springs.

Actually there are several important inspections that should be done to the shaft, bearings, and clutch hub. (Basket)

The clutch hub (On this heavy beast) is prone to notching. Thereby preventing the clutch to freely move back and forth. I have noticed this more on the 1300 than on any other period KZ. Assuming it is attributed to the weight of the bike.

Also the needle bearing can encounter wear and damage, underneath the clutch hub.

The KZ manual provides a thorough inspection process with diagrams on how to properly overhaul the clutch.

Like others mention above, clutches can be a source of a lot of engine noise. The KZ clutch should be almost silent in its operation.

Another good way to detect where noises are coming from is having a stethoscope in your tool box. It's inexpensive and provides an effective way to locating the source for offending noises.

Regards.

T.

A stethoscope lol yet another thing lying around my house that I now have a use for! Quick question about this: I've never used one for this purpose but I've always thought that putting one to a running motor would be a bit loud for someone ears. Have you any thoughts/suggestions on that before I go and blow out my eardrums? lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine Noise 10 years 3 weeks ago #2861

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
You can use a screwdriver to do the same thing, put the blade end on the point you want to listen to. then cup your hand on the handle and put your ear to it.
a crewed but effective stethoscope..

Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Last edit: by kwak1261.

Engine Noise 10 years 5 days ago #3154

• KEL
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a similar question.
Mine has a "chain like" sound that seems to be coming from the engine.
What could that be?

Last edit: by KEL.
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds