Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Which KZ1300 Model Year did Kawasaki go to the deeper Sump? 3 years 9 months ago #27378

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Anyone know what model year North American KZ1300s were fitted with the deeper sump/Oil Pan?
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Which KZ1300 Model Year did Kawasaki go to the deeper Sump? 3 years 9 months ago #27379

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I can only speak for the Z1300 UK/Euro models, but I am pretty sure it was the same for the KZ.

All 1979 A1 models were manufactured with the shallow sump.
Some of the early 1980 A2 models had the shallow sump as well, but the deep sump was introduced into production through the A2 model year as they continued to have ongoing crank seizure problems and finally admitted it was due to lack of oil volume. Many A1 and early A2 models had the deep sump upgrade carried out under warranty (if you complained enough to Kawasaki UK) but there was never a recall.
All A3 models (which were assembled in Detroit USA) were meant to be manufactured with the deep sump and all models after that were too.

Hope that helps ?

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko

Last edit: by strate6.

Which KZ1300 Model Year did Kawasaki go to the deeper Sump? 3 years 9 months ago #27381

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Thanks Pete. That does help.

As a side story: my 79 suffered one of those crank seizures - probably around 1981 or 82. I swapped my pooched engine, plus cash for a later model engine from a breaker and was back on the road. Can't remember the year of that replacement engine - maybe an 81 - I know the engine covers (maybe it was just the clutch cover?) from my 79 wouldn't fit the replacement engine as I had to go back to the breaker to buy the side covers which weren't originally included in the deal - fortunately, he swapped the replacement engine covers for my 79 covers at no charge.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Which KZ1300 Model Year did Kawasaki go to the deeper Sump? 3 years 9 months ago #27382

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I am pretty sure the A3 was the first model to come from the factory with the different Clutch Cover, which had the larger site glass (due to more oil volume) and the 6.2 Oil Capacity stated next to the filler cap.? The cover was still the same size and bolt hole pattern as the earlier one, and used the same gasket as a result.
The A2 Models manufactured with the deeper sump still came with the original clutch cover despite having the deep sump fitted.

On the UK / Euro A3 model, the engine covers were chrome plated, whilst the earlier A1 / A2 were bare alloy. The ignition pick ups on the A3 were on the end of the crank, whilst the A1 and A2 were behind the cylinder block on the R/H side of the motor. This made the casing which had the A3 pick-ups in it a different one to the A1 and A2.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Which KZ1300 Model Year did Kawasaki go to the deeper Sump? 3 years 8 months ago #27511

• Vilhelm
  • Thank you received: 5
Kawasakis "fix" for the dreaded early crank seizures was to increase the oil volume to 5,3 l at first and later 6,2 l . However, from what I know, the real reason for the seizures was not so much a too small oil volume, but a batch of badly machined cylinders, which caused the oil to disappear at a very fast rate. If cylinders , pistons and valves are in good condition those Z-1300s use very little oil, and I believe the small sump is quite satisfactory. This is fortunate, as big sumps are not often on the market.

Which KZ1300 Model Year did Kawasaki go to the deeper Sump? 3 years 8 months ago #27512

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
According to the parts manual, part way through model year 1980, there was a change to the oil pan. Prior to engine # 010637 oil pan part #49034-5008 and from engine # 010638 onward oil pan part # 49034-5005 (which according to the parts manual fits all years 1979-1988).
Reference - Partzilla.com - www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...l-filter-e-no-010638

Last edit: by Kawboy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds