Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cam chain too much slack? 3 years 9 months ago #27334

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
The cam drive chain is a 82RH-2015 which has a pitch of 6.350 mm.
Since Kawasaki tells you to measure between 20 links, you're actually measuring 19 pitches since the fist pin is the start (0), so a brand new chain would measure 6.350 x 19 mm = 120.65 mm (or 12.06 cm). Your original measurement taken was 12.2 cm which is a "just like new chain".

I'm not that familiar with the ZX10 mod and really can't advise as to what the "real problem is". I suspect a mismatch of components but as to what is mismatched, ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Cam chain too much slack? 3 years 9 months ago #27335

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. My measurement starts at link 1, not 0.

If I put the left 'jaw' of my vernier on the centre of link 1 and the right hand one on the centre of link 20, which I think is correct and as per the manual, then it reads 12.2cm. If I start at link 0 and then go to link 20.... obviously it is way out as there is another link. I don't think that is right, so I think maybe the chain is OK.

The ZX10 is just different in terms of the spring and the way it 'clicks' - the clicks are the 'no return' mechanism. But it is still pushing the chain, and when it does it makes the chain 'stand up' from the inlet sprocket. So its doing something and has more to give (albeit little)... so it would do the same if it was only in by ten clicks...

Btw, with the old tensioner I have the same result.

... sigh.. I need to have a think and will scrutinise the manual again.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Cam chain too much slack? 3 years 9 months ago #27336

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Paul,

The chain service limit info Kawboy has posted and your own measurement prove your chain is well within its limits at 12.2cm (122mm) so its a bit of a mystery.

My own Z1300 has covered 40,000 miles and I have the ZX Tensioner fitted. When I fitted it after my top-end rebuild in May 2020, I got around 10 clicks and my chain is also well within service limits...........so if you have managed 17 clicks, then there MUST be something else wrong here as the chain obviously has far too much slack.

What Stocktoy has said is a good point and "could" be the problem, but with the miles you have already done, I would expect you would have had a disaster by now if its not on the crank sprocket properly.

I suggest removing the ZX tensioner, both cams and make yourself very happy the chain is definitely on the crank sprocket below. This can be seen by looking UP from under the engine with the sump removed.

As far as seeing the route of the cam chain through the tensioner guide, I dont think it is easily visible from the top end, but if its not routed correctly, it could result in too much slack and maybe the issue you have.

Its starting to look like your cam chain is ok, so I agree with Kawboy, there must be a mismatch of components somewhere.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by strate6.

Cam chain too much slack? 3 years 9 months ago #27337

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just did another measurement:

I pushed in the tensioning lever inside the engine with a socket extension until the chain was taut. Then I stuck in my vernier and measured how far it went in. 5.9cm. (I also remeasured the chain and I am no pretty convinced that is OK)

The ZX10 tensioner is just about 6cm long when fully extended... so maybe not long enough.

Can anyone tell me what the proper 'length' of the/a tensioner is when inserted and operating properly? Is it 6cm or longer? If longer, then the ZX10 tensioner doesn't go in far enough. If shorter, there is something else at play that allows the chain to slacken.

Paul

Cam chain too much slack? 3 years 9 months ago #27338

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ha! I referred to the manual. Please see screenshot I took.

It is measured between link 1 and 21! I counted the links in the picture.

My measurement is now nearly 13mm so right on the service limit.

Attachments:

Cam chain too much slack? 3 years 9 months ago #27339

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I'll throw in my concern that no one has mentioned. You say the engine won't turn over (with the starter) ! First thing you'd better do is try turning it over by hand - a wrench on the crankshaft. You may very well have had valve contact - which would explain the lack of rotation. Might be interesting to see a picture of your Nylon cam-chain sprocket. With the amount of slack you're claiming, the sprocket could be worn to zip !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds